• Thread starter Gixer1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crane
Gixer1127
TL;DR Summary
Lifting a 30 metre spud leg on the back of a barge with a quayside mobile crane
Hey folks.
A quick question. Not homework, very much work related. I've been asked to plan a lifting operation to lift a 30 metre long by 35te (metric tonne) spud leg from horizontal to vertical. The spud leg is essentially a cylinder approximately 2 meters in diameter. It is held at one end on a pivot pin. As the crane lifts from horizontal to vertical the one end will be pivoting on this pin until vertical when the leg will be clamped into position.

My question is, from initial lift of one end, how much weight can I expect the crane to be lifting? Will it be half the weight and decreasing as the load moves through 90deg until fully supported on the pivot pin?

If it's expected that the load will be 17.5te then I can get away with using our 230te crane providing I can get within 19m of the pick up point. If it's going to be more than 50% of the load weight then I will need to use our 450 crane.

Even better if someone can give me an equation to use in the future for this type of work.
Cheers, Gixer

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a drawing of the setup? Also, who needs to sign off on this at work (for worker liability issues)? Here in the US it would likely be the local Union and EH&S...

https://ehs.berkeley.edu/

Likes Lnewqban
Also, is the crane going to be on the barge with the spud legs as it lifts them, or will it be alongside the barge on the dock?

1704388814214.png

https://www.hmsbroker.com/charter-type/spud-leg-barge/

Hi Berkeman. No issues with liability as this will be down to me as final signatory on the plan. Basically, the lifting foreman will draft the plan and I'll review, recommend any changes if needed , and sign off. I'm in Senegal so slightly different rules apply.
That all being said, I just need confirmation of what I'm.thinking. 50% of load weight decreasing as the load swings up through to vertical.

Gixer1127 said:
TL;DR Summary: Lifting a 30 metre spud leg on the back of a barge with a quayside mobile crane

As the crane lifts from horizontal to vertical the one end will be pivoting on this pin until vertical when the leg will be clamped into position.
1. Firstly, the side-forces will get you every time. If the bottom pivot is fixed, how will you make sure that the crane lifting wire remains vertical?

2. Just when you think the lift is done, and you breathe a sigh of relief, the vertical force will get you.
As the leg approaches vertical, the vertical force needed to reach that final point in the lift, will equal the total weight of the leg, but since, the leg is attached at the bottom to the barge, the lift force will become equal to the weight of the leg and the barge.

3. Once vertical, any reduction in water level, due to waves, or tide, will present a pseudo-infinite vertical force on the lifting wire, since the bottom pin is then also lifting the barge. The same will happen if the barge moves sideways due to a wind. The down-force on the closest crane stabiliser will punch a hole in the quay, and the lift radius will increase as the crane operator becomes a passenger, on his last day at work.

What started out as an easy lift of half the weight, rising to the full weight as the leg approaches vertical, plus the barge, suddenly becomes another crane disaster video on YouTube.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban, jrmichler and berkeman
The top of a leg, standing on a pivot point as it approaches vertical, will need to be pulled sideways with a small static force, for the leg to become closer to vertical. At that point, the leg will fall over the centre, presenting a significantly greater dynamic side-load and vertical-load, to the crane. The horizontal and vertical mix of that dynamic impulse is dependent on the length and angle of the lifting wire. Once the leg reaches near vertical, the direction of the subsequent fall becomes dynamically chaotic, and quite unpredictable.

A constraint must be set on the maximum leg angle while being lifted by the crane, at say 60° in light winds, or 75° in still conditions. The leg must then be supported by three or more guy wires, before the guy wire lengths are adjusted to pull the leg into the true vertical.

Likes Lnewqban, jrmichler and berkeman
Folks, thank you for your replies. Very much the road I was travelling. The dynamic amplification of a lift like this using a crane that does not have motion compensation would be very difficult and potentially dangerous. I will use the points you have brought up to question the team that are requiring this to go ahead.
Thanks again, very good points raised.

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban and Tom.G
Could you share a video of the operation when the time comes?

• Love
Likes Tom.G

1. What type of crane is required to lift a 30m, 35te spud leg?

To lift a 30-meter, 35-tonne spud leg, a crane with a capacity significantly greater than 35 tonnes is necessary, typically around 50 to 75 tonnes or more, depending on the specific lift conditions. The crane also needs to have a sufficient boom length to accommodate the height of the spud leg, and the configuration (like boom angle and radius) must be suitable for maintaining stability during the lift.

2. How do you calculate the crane capacity needed for lifting a 35te spud leg?

Crane capacity calculation for lifting a 35-tonne spud leg involves considering the weight of the load (35 tonnes), the radius of the operation (distance from the crane's center to the load's center), and the height at which the load will be lifted. Safety factors, including wind conditions, the ground's stability, and the crane's configuration (e.g., outriggers extended), are also vital. The crane's load chart, which shows the maximum load it can lift at various radii and heights, is crucial in determining the appropriate crane for the job.

3. What safety precautions should be considered when lifting a spud leg with a crane?

Safety precautions for lifting a spud leg include ensuring the crane is on stable ground and properly set up with outriggers, using certified and inspected lifting gear (such as slings and shackles), and having a competent lift director or supervisor on site. Additionally, all personnel involved should be trained on emergency procedures and the specific lift plan, and the area should be cleared of unnecessary personnel during the lift. Regular communication among team members is essential to ensure everyone is aware of the lift stages and any potential hazards.

4. What are the common risks associated with lifting heavy objects like spud legs?

The common risks associated with lifting heavy objects such as spud legs include the potential for the load to swing or slip, which can lead to damage or injury. Mechanical failure of the crane or lifting accessories (like slings or shackles breaking) is also a risk. Environmental factors, such as high winds or uneven ground, can affect the crane's stability. Proper risk assessment and implementing control measures are crucial to mitigate these risks.

5. How do you ensure the stability of the crane during the lifting operation?

Ensuring the stability of the crane during lifting operations involves several factors: the crane should be set up on firm, level ground and properly configured with outriggers fully extended. The load should not exceed the crane's rated capacity as per the load chart for the specific configuration and conditions. Regular inspections and maintenance of the crane are necessary to ensure it operates correctly. Additionally, monitoring weather conditions and adjusting operations accordingly, such as postponing the lift during high winds, is crucial for maintaining stability.