How to calculate this dispersion relation

In summary, during the conversation it was discussed that the dispersion relation was deduced by setting the determinant of the 2x2 matrix on the left equal to zero. There seems to be an error in the matrix and it was suggested to refer to Ichimaru's Basic Principles of Plasma Physics for a complete treatment. It was also mentioned that there are ad hoc methods for obtaining dispersion relations for generic waves. Two cases, where ω is greater and less than ωc, need to be considered separately. In the first case, the denominator has a minus sign while in the second case, it has a plus sign.
Karl86
Homework Statement
Let ##\mathbf{E}## be an electric field that behaves like ##e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r} -\omega t}## and consider the equation relating ##\mathbf{E}## to the displacement field ##\mathbf{D}##: $$\mathbf{k}^2 \mathbf{E}=\frac{\omega^2}{c^2}\mathbf{D}$$ ##\mathbf{D}## is related to ##\mathbf{E}## by a permittivity matrix ##\epsilon_{ij}## such that ##D_i=\sum_j\epsilon_{ij} E_j##, but this should not be relevant. If I know that the solutions ##\mathbf{E}## to the equation that are transverse to ##\mathbf{k}##, are given by the ##(E_1,E_2)## such that
$$ \begin{pmatrix} \omega^2 - c^2 k^2 -\frac{\omega_p^2 \omega^2}{\omega^2 - \omega_c^2} & i\frac{\omega_p^2 \omega_c \omega^2}{\omega^2-\omega_c^2} \\ -i\frac{\omega_p^2 \omega_c \omega^2}{\omega^2-\omega_c^2} & \omega^2 - c^2 k^2 -\frac{\omega_p^2 \omega^2}{\omega^2 - \omega_c^2} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} E_1 \\ E_2 \end{pmatrix} = 0 $$ It is claimed that the dispersion relation of such a wave solution is $$c^2 k^2 = \omega^2 \left(1 - \frac{\omega_p^2}{\omega(\omega \pm \omega_c)}\right) $$ I don't understand this.
Relevant Equations
##\omega^2=\Omega^2(k)## ??
I have no idea how this dispersion relation was deduced, and also what's the meaning of including plus and minus in the formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
The non-trivial solutions have the determinant of the 2x2 matrix on the left equal to zero. Perhaps that helps. Otherwise, for a complete treatment, see Ichimaru's Basic Principles of Plasma Physics A Statistical Approach Section 3.1.

Likes Karl86
Somewhere, there seems to be an error or two in that 2x2 matrix. The (1,2) and (2,1) elements are not dimensionally correct.

Charles Link said:
Somewhere, there seems to be an error or two in that 2x2 matrix. The (1,2) and (2,1) elements are not dimensionally correct.
There is one extra ##\omega## factor in both but I can no longer edit the post. It all worked out anyway, except that I thought there was a general strategy to obtain dispersion relations for generic waves, instead it looks like there are ad hoc methods, so to speak.

Yes, I see it now also. It should be first power of ## \omega ## in the numerator of the (2,1) and (1,2) terms.

And for this one, you need to do two cases separately: ## \omega > \omega_c ##, and ## \omega < \omega_c ##. I worked the first case and got the minus sign in the denominator. The second one is trickier, but it no doubt gives the plus in the denominator.

Likes Karl86

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave. It describes how the properties of a wave, such as its speed and direction, are affected by the medium it is traveling through.

2. How do I calculate a dispersion relation?

The specific method for calculating a dispersion relation depends on the type of wave and the properties of the medium it is traveling through. In general, it involves analyzing the wave equation and applying boundary conditions to determine the relationship between frequency and wavelength.

3. What information do I need to calculate a dispersion relation?

To calculate a dispersion relation, you will need to know the properties of the medium, such as its density, elasticity, and viscosity, as well as the type of wave being studied. Additionally, you may need to measure or know the boundary conditions, such as the shape and size of the medium, the wavelength of the wave, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. What are some common applications of dispersion relations?

Dispersion relations are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and geophysics, to study and understand the behavior of waves. They are particularly useful in predicting the behavior of seismic waves in earthquake studies, analyzing the properties of light in optics, and designing efficient communication systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using dispersion relations?

Like any mathematical model, dispersion relations make certain assumptions and have limitations. They may not accurately describe waves in all types of media or under extreme conditions. Additionally, they assume that the medium is homogeneous and continuous, which may not always be the case. It is important to carefully consider the validity and applicability of a dispersion relation before using it in a specific situation.