How to Calculate Time and Displacement for a Ferry Boat Crossing a River?

In summary, The average velocity of the ferry boat relative to the shore is 6.2m/s [E52*S]. Part b) asks for the time it takes to cross the river and part c) asks for the displacement of the boat as it crosses from the north shore to the south shore. The order of the velocities does not matter in this problem and it is possible to calculate the time given the distance and velocity of the boat.
Wizzker

Homework Statement

A ferry boat is crossing a river that is 8.5 x 10^2m wide. The average velocity of the waer relative to the shore is 3.8m/s (e) and the average velocity of the boat relative to the water is 4.9m/s (s).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i got the first part down where it says to determine velocity of the ferry boat relative to the shore. I got 6.2m/s [E52*S].

part b) and c) is what i don't get.

b) How long does the crossing take?

c) Determine the displacement of the boat as it crosses from the north shore to the south shore.

Also another thing that confuses me is the velocities. Should it be for example water to shore, shore to boat, boat to water? Instead its like water to shore, boat to water, then it asks boat to shore. I don't know if its big deal but was just wondering because in examples in our book it has it going in order if that makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three vectors, given any two you can calculate third - so order doesn't matter.

You are given distance, you are given velocity, where is the problem with calculating time? I guess velocity of the boat relative to water is perpendicular to shore, which makes calculations pretty simple.

1. What is the Boat Velocity Question?

The Boat Velocity Question, also known as the Boat Speed Question, is a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of a boat relative to the water it is moving through. It is commonly used to test students' understanding of basic physics concepts such as velocity, speed, and relative motion.

2. How is the Boat Velocity Question typically presented?

The Boat Velocity Question typically presents a scenario where a boat is moving through a body of water at a given speed and direction. The question will then ask for the velocity of the boat relative to the water, taking into account factors such as the current or wind speed.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving the Boat Velocity Question?

The key factors to consider when solving the Boat Velocity Question are the boat's speed and direction, the speed and direction of the water or current, and the angle at which the boat is moving relative to the water. These factors can be represented using vectors and can be used to calculate the boat's overall velocity.

4. What physics concepts are important for solving the Boat Velocity Question?

The Boat Velocity Question requires an understanding of vector addition and subtraction, as well as the concept of relative motion. It also involves applying the principles of Newton's laws of motion to calculate the overall velocity of the boat.

5. How can the Boat Velocity Question be applied in real life?

The Boat Velocity Question has many practical applications, such as in navigation and sailing. It can also be used to understand the effects of current and wind on a boat's speed and direction, and to optimize the performance of boats in competitive sports such as rowing and sailing.