How to calculate usage of a refrigerator?

In summary: So if you multiply the utilization fraction by the annual kWh rate, you will get the price.Believed to have been used most of time since 1998; however, the compressor did not work the whole time.Manufactured in 1998; however, the refrigerator has been used most of the time since then.Given to the individual by their landlord.The compressor should be running at 20% of the time to account for the age and usage of the fridge.In summary, the refrigerator uses 4785 kWh/year. It is believed to have been used most of the time since 1998, but the compressor did not work the whole time.
timlee
Hi,

I have a refrigerator (model No FRT18SJGW1) which consists of a freezer compartment on the top and a bigger frige compartment below. It is operating 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.

There is a label in its fridge compartment saying:
Electrial ratings: Amps 4.75, Volts 115, Hertz 60

I tried to compute its energy usage per year, and here is my computation:
4.75 Amps * 115 Volts * 0.001 * 24 hrs * 365 days = 4785.15 kWh/year

I looked up its model No FRT18SJG*1 (FRT18SJGW1) on http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.calculator, and found that it uses 766 kWh/year

Although I know both my computation and the website are estimates, they are too far different. What has been wrong? How can I do the calculation correctly?

Thanks and regards!

Engineering news on Phys.org
refrigerator's compressor does not work whole time. the operation is intermittent, it goes off when desired temperature is reached. say compressor is on for 20% time your estimate would be 4785*0.2 = 957 KWH/Year

How old is this refrigerator? I've seen them where water has been absorbed in the insulation and their compressor do run most of the time.

Manufactured in 1998. Believed to have been used most of time since. Given by my landlord.

I was also wondering what the refrigerator's power should be like after being used for 12 years, and if the amount 766 kWh/year shown at energystar website has taken into account the age of the refrigerator?

Thanks

dlgoff said:
How old is this refrigerator? I've seen them where water has been absorbed in the insulation and their compressor do run most of the time.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Where to get some basic sense of how much the rate for the compressor is?

aks786 said:
refrigerator's compressor does not work whole time. the operation is intermittent, it goes off when desired temperature is reached. say compressor is on for 20% time your estimate would be 4785*0.2 = 957 KWH/Year

You can buy 'smart meters' these days which will measure the energy consumed by a device of a whole house. Unlike the rotating disc type, they aren't very expensive and would be very informative on many occasions.
I have often considered buying one for myself but the idea has never reached 'critical mass' - so I haven't bought one yet.

timlee said:
Thanks!

it depends on usage, initial temperature of objects being kept in refrigerator, frequency of opening door etc.

20% is fair operation time in normal conditions.

Honestly speaking, I don't know how to calculate the usage of a refrigerator. But on my own experience, if we want to calculate our usage of our refrigerator, we contact our refrigerator's manufacturer. Then we notify the customer representative that we wish to calculate a refrigerator's annual kWh. Then they will assist you!

There are so many other factors involved. Where the fridge is sited, how freely the air flows around the heat exchanger, ambient temperature, the temperature you want the cabinet to have. Measuring it is the only way to have a better idea than that of the manufacturer's estimate. The card that each device is issued with (the coloured A,B,C,D etc.) with the energy consumption rating will give you a clue.

timlee said:
Thanks!

AKS pulled 20% out of the air, but it proved to be a fair estimate. Where you get the actual fraction is to run that calculation backwards. The fridge manufacturer has already taken all the necessary measurements to get their yearly usage and the utilization fraction is in there.

1. How do I calculate the energy usage of my refrigerator?

To calculate the energy usage of your refrigerator, you will need to know the wattage of your refrigerator and how many hours it runs per day. Multiply the wattage by the number of hours and divide by 1000 to get the kilowatt-hours (kWh) used per day. You can then multiply this number by the cost of electricity per kWh to determine the daily cost of running your refrigerator.

2. Is there a standard energy usage for refrigerators?

There is no standard energy usage for refrigerators as it can vary depending on the make, model, and age of the appliance. However, the average energy usage for a refrigerator is around 1,000 kWh per year.

3. How much does it cost to run a refrigerator?

The cost of running a refrigerator depends on the wattage of the appliance, how many hours it runs per day, and the cost of electricity per kWh in your area. On average, refrigerators can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 per year to run.

4. Can I save money on my energy bill by using my refrigerator more efficiently?

Yes, you can save money on your energy bill by using your refrigerator more efficiently. Some ways to do this include keeping the temperature at the recommended setting (around 37°F for the refrigerator and 0°F for the freezer), making sure the door seal is tight, and not overfilling the refrigerator.

5. How can I reduce the energy usage of my refrigerator?

There are a few ways to reduce the energy usage of your refrigerator. These include upgrading to an Energy Star certified model, keeping the coils clean, minimizing the amount of time the door is open, and making sure the refrigerator is not located near a heat source such as an oven or direct sunlight.