How to Calculate Velocity and Force in a Jump from Height?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seanbugler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impact Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 12K views
seanbugler
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A person jumps from the roof of a house 3.4 meters high. When he strikes the ground below, he bends his knees so that his torso decelerates over an approximate distance of 0.70 meters. If the mass of his torso (excluding legs) is 41 kg.

A. Find his velocity just before his feet strike the ground.

B. Find the average force exerted on his torso by his legs during deceleration.

Homework Equations


I can't even seem to figure that part out. Help please?


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to start this at all.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
seanbugler said:

Homework Statement



A person jumps from the roof of a house 3.4 meters high. When he strikes the ground below, he bends his knees so that his torso decelerates over an approximate distance of 0.70 meters. If the mass of his torso (excluding legs) is 41 kg.

A. Find his velocity just before his feet strike the ground.

B. Find the average force exerted on his torso by his legs during deceleration.

Homework Equations


I can't even seem to figure that part out. Help please?


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to start this at all.

Start with step 1. What his velocity when he reaches the ground?
 
hint: U=mgh=... [use the law of conservation of energy to fill the gap]
 
Remember mv^2 * 0,5 = E, that should help you solve the first. For the other remember that Energy is force times distance.
 
seanbugler said:
the force would be gravity in this case right?

Right. Your answer in #4 is correct. (I get 8.16 m/s, using g=9.8 ms-2)

Now... how do you plan to approach part B?
 
Last edited:
Not exactly, the force comes from the legs, the muscles have to work. (I'm a little unsure though.) In the first question (A) potential energy is transformed to kinetic energy, in the second the same energy is "soaked up" by the legs.
 
Anden said:
Not exactly, the force comes from the legs, the muscles have to work. (I'm a little unsure though.) In the first question (A) potential energy is transformed to kinetic energy, in the second the same energy is "soaked up" by the legs.

Yes, the force for part A is gravity. The force for part B is applied to the torso through the legs to decelerate.