How to calculate volume of a gas at STP?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mackydoodle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Mackydoodle
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the volume of .250 g of helium at STP.
This seems so simple but I keep getting the wrong answers.
If someone could walk me through how to do this problem so I will know how to do them for our test. Our book doesn't give a good example.

Homework Equations



I know gasses occupy 22.4 L at STP but other then that... I'm not sure how to set up this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mackydoodle said:

Homework Statement


Calculate the volume of .250 g of helium at STP.
This seems so simple but I keep getting the wrong answers.
If someone could walk me through how to do this problem so I will know how to do them for our test. Our book doesn't give a good example.


Homework Equations



I know gasses occupy 22.4 L at STP but other then that... I'm not sure how to set up this equation

The Attempt at a Solution


More exactly a mole of gas occupies 22.4 L .
So how many moles is 0.25g of He? You can take the atomic mass to be 4.
Moles and atomic mass have got to be in your book so I won't come back on this.