How to calculate weight of object swinging a radius?

In summary, dropping an object of weight W on a 30 inch arm from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock produces an angular velocity of .33 rotations per minute. If the angular velocity is multiplied by the weight of the object, then the resulting weight will be 20 lbs.
dishguy55

Homework Statement

20 lbs. on the end of a 30 inch arm. Dropping from 2oclock position to 5oclock position.

How much wieght will be developed if this was dropped on a scale measuring lbs.

Homework Equations

I am unsure how to calculate this.

The Attempt at a Solution

If there is a formula I can try to calculate myself.
I just don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there...
Let me see if I get this straight:, by
...if this was dropped on a scale measuring lbs.
did you mean that at that juncture, on this sort of pendulum, the thread/rope(whatever) is suddenly cut, and the object is dropped on a weight measure?
If that's the case, then you must consider what sort of forces act upon an object moving in such a structure; Essentially(and this is quite a hint), you need to think about circular motion...
Give it a try, it's bound to work...
Good luck,
Daniel

Ok. i researched that and found this formula.

w=2*3.14/t.

w in my angular velocity. that is what i need to know.

t is the period for 1 rotation.

Is the rotation in rpm.

I know my rpm is 19.

If so then w would be .33

If my angular velocity is .33

How does that convert to lbs?

Well, let me simply rearrange what you wrote, if you don't mind...
You're correct in positing that: [tex] \omega = \frac{2\pi}{t} [/tex], Where t is the time of a single rotation(however, in SI units, this is ALWAYS measured in seconds); Therefore, RPMs won't do.
My advice is(based on my personal experience) is to try and convert any problem to metric units(SI based), and if the solution explicitly requires Imperial/non-standard representation, only then(after having the proper resolution), should you turn it back to whatever's necessary(but that's my opinion, and you're of course free to do what you're comfortable with).
As for those pesky Lbs, think about what a force suggests, its equation, and what do Lbs represent in this case(Newton's 2nd law would be helpful).
You're on the right track though,
Daniel

Can you provide more information about the object and its motion? Is it a pendulum swinging back and forth, or is it being dropped from a height and swinging like a pendulum? Also, is the object swinging on the same arm or is it being released from the 2 o'clock position and then caught at the 5 o'clock position by a different arm? These details will affect the calculations needed to determine the weight of the object. Generally, to calculate the weight of an object swinging on a radius, you would need to know the mass of the object, the length of the arm, and the angular velocity of the object. From there, you can use the formula F=ma to calculate the force exerted by the object on the arm, which can then be converted to weight using the formula W=mg. However, without more information, it is difficult to provide a specific answer.

1. How do I calculate the weight of an object swinging at a given radius?

The weight of an object swinging at a given radius can be calculated using the formula W = m * v2 / r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the swing.

2. What units should I use for the weight calculation?

The units used for the weight calculation will depend on the units used for mass, velocity, and radius. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent, such as using kilograms for mass, meters per second for velocity, and meters for radius.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of swinging motion?

This formula can be used for objects swinging in a circular motion, such as a pendulum or a playground swing. However, for objects swinging in other types of motion, such as back-and-forth or side-to-side, a different formula may be needed.

4. What if the object has a variable mass or velocity?

If the mass or velocity of the object is changing while it is swinging, the weight calculation will need to be adjusted accordingly. The formula should be recalculated for each point in time where the mass or velocity changes.

5. Is there an easier way to calculate the weight of a swinging object?

There are some online calculators and apps that can help with calculating the weight of a swinging object. However, it is important to understand the formula and how to apply it in order to accurately calculate the weight. Practice and repetition can make the calculation easier over time.