1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding finding mass given a weight and gravity

1. Mar 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

we did a quiz in my dynamics class, it was very easy i think but there was a problem where we had to find the speed of an object attached to a spring, but that is not my question. The mass had 8 pounds, and the spring constant was in inches, the measurements in inches. To find the weight, was i suppose to use 8/(386.4) or 8/(32.2)? the 386.4 is the value of gravity but in inches

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From what I gather on the basis of what you say, the weight of the mass is 8 pounds.

4. Mar 4, 2017 #3
    sorry, i meant that the weight was 8 pounds. We were suppose to find the mass by dividing the weight by gravity or W/g.

5. Mar 4, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As far as I am aware, from dim recollection and a little web browsing, one pound force = one pound mass * g. So if the weight was 8 lb force then the mass was 8 lb mass.

6. Mar 4, 2017 #5
    Or you could convert pounds to wretched slugs: m = w/g = 8/32.2 = 0.249 slugs

7. Mar 4, 2017 #6
    right, sorry i meant slugs. well the problem had measurements in inches and the spring constant was inches, so is it correct find the slugs by using gravity but in inches? so 8/386.4?

8. Mar 4, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you need to state the whole problem, word for word.

9. Mar 4, 2017 #8
    I found this using Google: "A slug is defined as the mass that is accelerated by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound (lbf) is exerted on it."
    So no, you can't use inches with slugs. You can't mix units; they have to match. I think if it was me, I would convert all of the inch measurements to feet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted