How to Calculate Work for Isothermal Processes with a Non-Ideal Gas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter opprobe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isothermal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
opprobe
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Gas obeys Equation of State, PV=RT/(1-bP), where b is a temperature dependent constant.
Isothermal process (T is constant)
V goes from V1 to V2
P goes from P1 to P2

Show that the amount of Work is
W=(P1V1-P2V2)+RTln[(P22V2)/(P12V1)

Homework Equations


W=-∫P(V)dV
ΔU=Q+W

The Attempt at a Solution


Solved PV=RT/(1-bP) for P in terms of V
P=(-1[itex]\pm[/itex]Sqrt[1-4bRT/V])/(2b)

I don't know how to really integrate that expression. I used Wolfram to eventually get this expression:

∫P(V)dV=-V/(2b)[itex]\pm[/itex]RTln(2V(Sqrt[1-4bRT/V]+1)-4bRT)-V*Sqrt[1-4bRT/V]

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the approach to solve this problem. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org