1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate work from force applied at downward angle and friction

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If you exert a force of 175 N at a downward angle of 35 degrees on a box with a total mass of 125kg for a distance of 15m, and the box and the floor have a uk of 0.25, what is the work done?

2. Relevant equations
    F= (m)(a)
    Fk= (uk) (Fn)
    W = (F)(d)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) First I drew a free body diagram: the first horizontal vector will be in the positive direction and will be F=(175)(cos 35) = 143.35 N.
    2) I drew a vertical vector in the negative (down) direction, representing the weight of the box F=(125)(9.81) = 1,226.25 N.
    3) Since the box is being pushed at an angle, I drew the vertical component of the force, which is also negative (down) F=(175)(sin 35) = 100.38 N.
    4) The normal force Fn should be equal to (and in opposite direction to) the two vertical forces calculated in steps 2 and 3. Fn=(1,226.25 + 100.38) = 1326.63 N.
    5) The Force due to friction would then be shown as a vector in the negative direction and would be Fk = uk (FN) = (0.25)(1326.63) = 331.65 N.

Since the force caused by friction is larger than the horizontal force applied to the box, (assuming I did everything right), does this mean that the box is not moving?
    The net force would be F=-331.65 + 143.35 = -188.30N

If I apply this to the equation for work I would get W = (-188.30)(15) = -2,824.5 Joules
    Is this correct?
    Thanks for your help!
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    fizzsucks,

The only thing that could be wrong with steps 1 and 3 is my interpretation of downward angle. I'm assuming that a downward angle of 35 degrees means that the force is applied at an angle of 35 degrees with respect to the horizontal axis. In other words, an angle of 0 degrees would be horizontal, an angle of 90 degrees would be vertical. I could try the problem using the same formulas but applying 55 degrees (90-35) instead of applying 35. Is this what you mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook