How to choose plasmids for certain types of cell?

• Thread starter Wek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, when choosing plasmids for certain types of cells, it is important to consider factors such as the type of cell being used, the desired expression level of the gene, and the type of antibiotic resistance needed. Plasmids should also be carefully selected based on their size, copy number, and origin of replication. It is important to consult reliable sources and conduct thorough research to ensure that the chosen plasmid is compatible with the specific cell type and will successfully fulfill the desired function.
Wek
How do you know which plasmids are suitable (disregard the efficiency for now) for say, mammalian cells? For example, this http://www.addgene.org/12091/" is it suitable for HeLa cells?

Basically, I'm confused as to what "Growth strain" and "Vector type" mean.
Does Growth strain mean where the plasmid was grown and the vector type means in which type of cells (mammalian or bacterial cells) they can be transfected into?

If I'm right then, would a plasmid such as this one (for mammalian cells) grown in Ecoli be able to express its genes in bacterial cells as well?

One more thing, how can I find out the original plasmid that was used before the TP53-GFP genes were added to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Usually, it's best to just go to the literature and see what others have used for the particular cell type you're trying to transfect. Then, from those choices, look at what size inserts they can handle. If none of that makes sense, or you're a total novice to it, get a collaborator who does it more often (it's not something I do often, and it's been years since I last did this, so I can't advise on any of it off the top of my head).

1. How do I determine which plasmid is suitable for my specific cell type?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a plasmid for a certain type of cell. These include the size and copy number of the plasmid, the type of promoter and antibiotic resistance gene, and the compatibility with the host cell. It is important to research and compare different plasmids to find the best fit for your specific cell type.

2. Can I use the same plasmid for different types of cells?

In some cases, a plasmid can be used for multiple types of cells. However, it is important to consider the unique characteristics and requirements of each cell type. It is recommended to perform pilot experiments to determine the effectiveness of a plasmid in a particular cell type before proceeding with larger experiments.

3. How can I ensure efficient transfection or transformation of my plasmid into my cells?

The efficiency of transfection or transformation can be influenced by various factors, such as the purity and quality of the plasmid DNA, the concentration and type of transfection reagent, and the health and viability of the cells. It is important to optimize these parameters to achieve the best results.

4. Are there any specific considerations for choosing plasmids for primary cells?

Primary cells have a limited lifespan and are more sensitive to external factors compared to immortalized cell lines. Therefore, it is important to choose a plasmid that will not cause significant cytotoxicity or affect the function of the primary cells. Plasmids with low copy number and non-toxic selection markers are often preferred for use in primary cells.

5. Can I use commercially available plasmids or should I design my own?

Commercially available plasmids are convenient and have been well-characterized, making them a good choice for many experiments. However, if your research requires a specific plasmid that is not commercially available, it may be necessary to design and construct your own. In this case, it is important to carefully design the plasmid to ensure its compatibility and functionality in your desired cell type.