How to classify a quadratic surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of a quadratic surface and the process of finding its eigenvalues to determine the type of surface. It also mentions the significance of the sign of the right-hand side of the equation in determining the number of "sheets" the surface has. The conclusion is that the quadratic surface in question is a hyperboloid of one sheet, with two positive and one negative eigenvalues.
cookiesyum

Homework Statement

Classify the quadratic surface:

2x^2 + 4y^2 - 5z^2 + 3xy - 2xz + 4yz = 2

Homework Equations

A quadratic form is a second degree polynomial equation in three variables which has the form

F(x,y,z) = ax^2 + by^2 + cz^2 + 2dxy + 2exz + 2fyz

where coefficients a through i are real numbers.

The curve F(x,y,z) = j can be written in the form (x^T)*A*x = j where

x = [x, y, z]

A = [a, d, e]
[d, b, f]
[e, f, c]

The Attempt at a Solution

A = [2, 3/2, -1]
[3/2, 4, 2]
[-1, 2, -5]

Then, find the eigenvectors of A-tI...check how many are positive, negative, or 0 and classify using the information? Is that the right way to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
cookiesyum said:
Then, find the eigenvectors of A-tI...check how many are positive, negative, or 0 and classify using the information? Is that the right way to proceed?

I think you have the right idea, but the wrong terminology: You are trying to find the eigenvalues of A by finding zeros of the polynomial det(A-tI).

yyat said:
I think you have the right idea, but the wrong terminology: You are trying to find the eigenvalues of A by finding zeros of the polynomial det(A-tI).

Oh ok. And then, the fact that F(x, y, z) is = 2 doesn't make a difference, right? Because, it is the j that F(x, y, z) can be set equal to such that (x^T)*A*x = j?

cookiesyum said:
Oh ok. And then, the fact that F(x, y, z) is = 2 doesn't make a difference, right? Because, it is the j that F(x, y, z) can be set equal to such that (x^T)*A*x = j?

The sign of the RHS does make a difference, in this case it tells you how many "sheets" the quadratic surface has (have you found the eigenvalues yet?).

yyat said:
The sign of the RHS does make a difference, in this case it tells you how many "sheets" the quadratic surface has (have you found the eigenvalues yet?).

I get two positive and one negative eigenvalues: -5.647, 1.661, 4.986. This would be a hyperboloid of one sheet.

cookiesyum said:
I get two positive and one negative eigenvalues: -5.647, 1.661, 4.986. This would be a hyperboloid of one sheet.

That's correct. :smile:

yyat said:
That's correct. :smile:

Thanks a bunch!

1. What is a quadratic surface?

A quadratic surface is a three-dimensional shape that can be described by a quadratic equation in three variables. It is a type of surface that can be represented by a parabola, ellipse, hyperbola, or a combination of these curves.

2. How can I determine if a surface is quadratic?

A surface is considered quadratic if it can be written in the form Ax2 + By2 + Cz2 + Dxy + Exz + Fyz + Gx + Hy + Iz + J = 0, where A, B, and C are not all equal to 0. This is known as the general form of a quadratic surface.

3. What are the different types of quadratic surfaces?

The four main types of quadratic surfaces are paraboloids, hyperboloids, ellipsoids, and cones. Paraboloids have a single curvature and can be open or closed. Hyperboloids have two separate curvatures and can be of two types: elliptic or hyperbolic. Ellipsoids have three equal curvatures and are often referred to as spheres. Cones have one curved side and one flat side.

4. How can I classify a quadratic surface?

To classify a quadratic surface, you need to consider the signs of the coefficients A, B, and C in the general form equation. If all three coefficients are of the same sign, the surface is classified as an ellipsoid or a sphere. If two coefficients are positive and one is negative, the surface is a hyperboloid. If one coefficient is positive and the other two are negative, the surface is a paraboloid. If all three coefficients have different signs, the surface is a cone.

5. What are some real-life examples of quadratic surfaces?

Quadratic surfaces can be found in many real-life objects and structures. Some examples include satellite dishes (paraboloid), cooling towers (hyperboloid), water towers (ellipsoid), and traffic cones (cone). They are also commonly used in architecture and design to create interesting and visually appealing structures.