How to compare potential advisers for grad school?

In summary, when narrowing down potential advisers from different schools, it is important to ask open-ended questions to initiate a real dialogue. This includes inquiring about expectations, meeting frequency and style, previous supervision experience, and current student projects and successes. It is also recommended to speak with current graduate students and post-docs in the department to get a better understanding of the advisor and their supervision style. If a professor is unwilling to let you speak to their current students, it should be seen as a red flag. Asking these questions and talking to current students can help prevent being supervised by someone who may not be a good fit.
LogicX
How do you go about actually narrowing down potential advisers from different schools? What are some tips for visitations that will help with this decision? How does one compare the prestige of different advisers? Counting publications seems silly and asking around your undergrad department could be skewed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some questions that I would ask potential supervisors (now that I've been on both sides of this issue):
- What expectations do you have of your students? (With respect to: schedule (daily and over the course of the project), independence, publishing, conference attendence, part-time jobs, etc.)
- How often would we meet?
- Do you prefer formal or informal meetings?
- How many students have you supervised?
- What projects have your former students worked on?
- Were they successful?
- Where are they now?
- How does student funding work?
- How many students do you currently have?

Obviously you don't have to ask these exact questions, but while interviewing with potential advisors it's a good idea to ask open ended questions to initiate a real dialogue. Although some of the questions may seem awkward at first, it's better to get them out of the way up front rather than (as some students do) wondering about them for half of their graduate time.

Another big tip is to talk with both current graduate students and post-docs in the department. This helps avoid getting stuck with somewho who bends the truth in answering such questions.

Choppy said:
Another big tip is to talk with both current graduate students and post-docs in the department. This helps avoid getting stuck with somewho who bends the truth in answering such questions.

This is probably the single best, and yet most rarely followed, advice for people looking for a grad supervisor. Ignore it at your great peril, LogicX.

How exactly will I have the opportunity to talk with their current grad students? It's not like they are going to let me loose in their lab...

Why shouldn't they? When you meet with the advisor, say, "I would like to speak to some of your current students about their experience in the group. Would that be OK?" If they say no, that alone should be a giant red flag. This is someone you're going to be supervised by for years. Good advisors don't take that lightly and want you to have as many opportunities as possible to see if you'll be a good fit.

I once had a professor joke, "The two most important decisions in my life were deciding who to do my PhD under and who I was going to marry. In that order." A bit extreme, perhaps, but it makes the point. You wouldn't buy a car without kicking the tires. If a professor won't let you speak to his or her current students, it's like someone selling a used car who won't let you get an inspection. So go ahead, kick the tires.

LastOneStanding said:
Why shouldn't they? When you meet with the advisor, say, "I would like to speak to some of your current students about their experience in the group. Would that be OK?" If they say no, that alone should be a giant red flag. This is someone you're going to be supervised by for years. Good advisors don't take that lightly and want you to have as many opportunities as possible to see if you'll be a good fit.

I once had a professor joke, "The two most important decisions in my life were deciding who to do my PhD under and who I was going to marry. In that order." A bit extreme, perhaps, but it makes the point. You wouldn't buy a car without kicking the tires. If a professor won't let you speak to his or her current students, it's like someone selling a used car who won't let you get an inspection. So go ahead, kick the tires.

I was going to reply to the OP, but there's no way I could have possibly stated it better than LastOneStanding has above.

1. What criteria should I consider when comparing potential advisers for grad school?

When comparing potential advisers for grad school, some important criteria to consider include the adviser's research interests and expertise, their availability and willingness to mentor students, their past success in guiding students to graduation, and their funding and resources for supporting students' research.

2. How can I find out about an adviser's research interests and expertise?

You can find out about an adviser's research interests and expertise by looking at their publications and research projects, attending their talks or seminars, and talking to current or former students who have worked with them. You can also check their profile on the university's website or academic databases.

3. Is it important for an adviser to have a good track record of guiding students to graduation?

Yes, it is important for an adviser to have a good track record of guiding students to graduation. This indicates that the adviser is able to provide effective mentorship and support to their students, and that they have a successful approach to helping students complete their degree requirements.

4. What role does funding and resources play in choosing an adviser?

Funding and resources can play a significant role in choosing an adviser. Adequate funding can provide students with research opportunities and support for attending conferences and conducting experiments, while access to resources such as equipment and facilities can impact the quality and scope of research projects.

5. How can I determine an adviser's availability and willingness to mentor students?

You can determine an adviser's availability and willingness to mentor students by talking to current or former students who have worked with them, and by asking the adviser directly about their expectations and responsibilities for mentoring. It can also be helpful to observe how often the adviser meets with their students and how they respond to questions and concerns.