Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to compile programs in notepad++?

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    I cannot find the compile button anywhere in the program. Is there a shortcut key to compile the programs in notepad++?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Maybe you are looking for something like this:

http://npp-community.tuxfamily.org/documentation/notepad-user-manual/commands [Broken]

You will have to use the right variables and look at the compiler command line arguments, but this should do the trick.

What compiler are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    I was thinking maybe notepad++ will compile my written code and then run it. I don't know how to provide the path for a compiler.
    I found the 'run' button under 'Run' menu but couldn't find compile button... therefore, I asked if there is any predefined short-cut key in notepad++ to compile the program.

5. Jul 16, 2011 #4

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

You should be aware, that Notepad++ is "just" an editor without any compiler, not a full blown development environment. If you want to run a compiler from Notepad++ you need to have a compiler installed for the language in question and you must then configure Notepad++ to call this compiler.

6. Jul 16, 2011 #5
    Can anyone tell me any program where I can write, compile and run few C/C++ programs in Windows.

7. Jul 16, 2011 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Dev-CPP is a good fit for your needs:

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

It's completely free and has a lot of features.

Personal note: I think the visual studio environment is a tonne better (and I prefer VC 6.0 to the later versions), but dev-cpp is still ok.

8. Jul 16, 2011 #7
  9. Jul 19, 2011 #8
    Cygwin.

10. Jul 19, 2011 #9
    is not an IDE or an editor :rolleyes:

11. Jul 20, 2011 #10
    Do you know what visual editor is? :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook