How to compute the surface an N-sphere using delta functions

In summary: I can use. In summary, I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly).
charlesmartin14
Homework Statement
I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly)

Given a vector J with norm N, with N large, how does one compute the volume integral ? That is, what representation of the delta function. And what is the exact result ?
Relevant Equations
various delta function representations
Problem Statement: I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly)

Given a vector J with norm N, with N large, how does one compute the volume integral ? That is, what representation of the delta function. And what is the exact result ?
Relevant Equations: various delta function representations

Physics news on Phys.org
∫dJδ(J2-N)≈exp(N/2(1+ln2π))

The area of an N-sphere goes like 2πN/2 so I know this is close but I am haven't remembered the trick yet how to get the exact result

charlesmartin14 said:
Problem Statement: I am trying to understand how to compute the surface an N-sphere , for large N, to leading order (and exactly)

Relevant Equations: various delta function representations

Is this what you are after?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere#Recurrences

No I was thinking more to use a relation like

$$\delta[g(x)]=\dfrac{\delta(x-x_{0})}{|g'(x)|_{x=x_{0}}}$$

or maybe the simpler relation

$$\delta[(x^{2}-a^{2})]=\dfrac{1}{2|a|}[\delta(x+a)+\delta(x-a)]$$

so that we can reduce

$$\delta[(\mathbf{J}^{2}-N)]=\dfrac{1}{2N^{1/2}}[\delta(\mathbf{J}+\sqrt{N})+\delta(\mathbf{J}-\sqrt{N})]$$

Which should give 2 identical values when integrated over ##\int\;d\mathbf{J}##. Then we need to represent ##\int\;d\mathbf{J}## using

$$d\mathbf{J}=\Pi_{i=1}^{N}dj_{i}$$

and then compute the integral as a product of N identical integrals over ##dj_{i}##

OR

I suppose one could try to do the ##\int\;d\mathbf{J}## integral in N-dim spherical coordinates, and then the relation (above on wikipedia) might be useful

EVENTUALLY

I want to add some constraints on the ##\mathbf{J}## vectors, such as specifying an arbitrary vector ##\mathbf{K}##, and asking what is

$$\int\;d\mathbf{J}\delta(\mathbf{J}^{2}-N)\delta(\dfrac{1}{N}\mathbf{J}^{T}\mathbf{K}-E)=?$$

So I would like to work it all out, in gross detail, using the delta function forms

Last edited:

1. What is an N-sphere?

An N-sphere, also known as a hypersphere, is a generalization of a sphere to higher dimensions. It is defined as the set of all points in N-dimensional space that are a fixed distance (known as the radius) from a central point.

2. How do delta functions relate to computing the surface of an N-sphere?

Delta functions are mathematical tools that are used to represent point-like objects or distributions in space. In the case of an N-sphere, delta functions can be used to represent the surface of the sphere, allowing for a more efficient computation of its surface area.

3. What is the formula for computing the surface area of an N-sphere using delta functions?

The formula for computing the surface area of an N-sphere using delta functions is: S = π^(N/2) / Γ(N/2+1) * r^(N-1), where S is the surface area, r is the radius, π is the mathematical constant pi, and Γ is the gamma function.

4. Can delta functions be used to compute the surface area of any N-sphere?

Yes, delta functions can be used to compute the surface area of any N-sphere, regardless of its dimension. The formula for computing the surface area remains the same, only the value of N changes.

5. Are there any limitations to using delta functions to compute the surface area of an N-sphere?

While delta functions can provide an efficient way to compute the surface area of an N-sphere, they may not always be the most accurate method. This is because delta functions represent point-like objects, and in reality, the surface of an N-sphere is continuous. Therefore, the use of delta functions may introduce some level of error in the calculation.