How to connect PS/2 female to USB female?

• Thread starter hammeraxe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary: You should be be able to use the same script as you would with a serial connection.In summary, you need a male mini DIN 6-pin connector to connect a female PS/2 to a female USB. These usually come as cables, but you can make a short cable with a couple of male mini DIN 6-pin connectors.
hammeraxe
This is more of a hobbyist than engineering question, but basically I need to connect a female PS/2 (mini DIN 6-pin) to a female USB (ie plug in a computer).

I haven't succeeded in finding a connector that does this, so i thought of doing a PS/2 to USB and then USB male to USB male (as this seems to be one of the few "single gender" connectors they actually make, although there are some PS/2 male to male as well). The problem is that these usually come as cables (e.g. 1.8 m long), but I would only need a connector. Is there such a thing and if so, where to get it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
No, that's the point. This is how it looks:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6378/connectorh.jpg

And this needs to be converted to male USB plug to fit into a computer.

hammeraxe said:
The problem is that these usually come as cables (e.g. 1.8 m long), but I would only need a connector. Is there such a thing and if so, where to get it?
Could you make a short cable with a couple of male mini DIN 6-pin connectors?

Obviously, pretty much anything can be done with enough soldering, but I was kind of looking for a ready made solution. It doesn't make that much difference though, as I haven't got the components anyway

hammeraxe said:
Obviously, pretty much anything can be done with enough soldering, but I was kind of looking for a ready made solution. It doesn't make that much difference though, as I haven't got the components anyway

A good deal *can* be done with soldering, but no amount of solder will convert the signals for you. Assuming this is a standard keyboard or mouse that follows the PS/2 format, the PS/2 has a data and clock line (in addition to the power and ground lines), which are encoded differently from the USB spec:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Cables

The adapter that vk6kro linked to has a little chip in it that does this necessary conversion FOR KEYBOARDS and/or MICE (I've seen them coloured purple or green, depending on whether you have a mouse or keyboard, they probably have ones that are smart enough to figure out what you have connected, at a correspondingly higher price point).

So it might be better if you step back a bit and let us know what the other end of your 6-pin DIN female cable is connected to?

My suggestion to make a short cable was to be used with vk6kros adapter.

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing: using a serial-to-USB adapter and a short converting unit.

The device I want to connect is a Garmin GPS 35 satnav for embedded applications

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=62&ra=true

I've got the LVS version, so I figure the LVS version should be able to take power from USB.

I'm a bit concerned about the actual interaction with the device: ie will I be able to work with it from my script just as if it was connected by serial cable?

1. How do I connect a PS/2 female device to a USB female port?

To connect a PS/2 female device to a USB female port, you will need a PS/2 female to USB female adapter. This adapter will convert the PS/2 connection to a USB connection, allowing you to connect the device to the USB port on your computer.

2. Are all PS/2 female to USB female adapters the same?

No, not all adapters are the same. There are different types of PS/2 to USB adapters, such as passive and active adapters. Passive adapters simply change the physical connection, while active adapters also convert the signal from PS/2 to USB.

3. Can I use a PS/2 to USB adapter for any PS/2 device?

Not necessarily. Some PS/2 devices may not be compatible with a PS/2 to USB adapter. It is best to check with the manufacturer of the device to see if it is compatible with the adapter.

4. Do I need any special drivers for the adapter?

In most cases, no special drivers are required for a PS/2 to USB adapter. It should work plug-and-play with your computer's operating system. However, if you are having issues, you may need to install drivers specific to your adapter.

5. Can I connect multiple PS/2 devices to one USB port using an adapter?

No, you cannot connect multiple PS/2 devices to one USB port using an adapter. Each PS/2 device will need its own adapter and USB port. However, some adapters come with multiple ports, allowing you to connect multiple PS/2 devices to one USB port.