How to contact a professor about volunteering in a research lab

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kougou
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Hi all

If I want to volunteer in the research lab in the summer, how should I contact the professor to inquiry about this opportunities? I am an undergraduate electrical students, and I am interested in the the signal processing and data communication. However, I don't have any related background in this field nor did I take any relevant courses. Do you guys have any tips in getting the job like this?

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why should the professor hire you? Once you figure that out, you should tell him.
 
It's not too common for professors to hire or take on as volunteers, students who have yet to take at least an introductory course in their field, although it does happen.

The best way that I know of to find these kinds of opportunities is to go and talk with professors. Tell them what you're interested in and ask if there is anyone looking for some extra help. Also talk with senior undergraduates and graduate students. Not only will you learn about available opportunities, but you'll also learn about particular people or projects to avoid.