How to create a DiffEq to find mortgage prepayment savings

In summary, the speaker is trying to create and solve a differential equation that deals with mortgage amortization and prepayments. They discovered that the ratio of money saved at the end of the loan vs the prepayment amount differed depending on the date and amount of the prepayment. They want to set up a 3-dimensional function with x representing the month the prepayment is made, y representing the prepayment amount, and the z-axis representing the amount of interest saved. However, they are struggling to set up the differential equation and are unsure if it is too difficult for the forum to help with. They are looking for guidance on the first step in solving this problem.
Jeff12341234
I'm trying to create and then solve A D.E. that deals with mortgage amortization and mortgage prepayments. By playing around with the prepayment option on mortgage amortization calculator at http://mortgage-x.com/calculators/extra_payment_calculator.asp , I found that the ratio of money saved at the end of the loan vs principal prepayment differed depending on the date you made the prepayment (of course), and the prepayment amount. The ratio of the prepayment amount vs money saved wasn't the same for all prepayment amounts. So there is an unknown, optimal, highest value prepayment amount that saves you the most money per dollar spent. To put is simply, a $100 prepayment can save you $500 (due to the nature of compound interest). I want to set up and solve a diffEq such that I'm left with a 3-dimensional function where x is the month number (of the life of the loan) that the prepayment is made, and y is the pre-payment amount. z-axis would represent the amount of interest saved at the end of the mortgage loan. Is that way too hard to figure out or what? All I've been able to do is just get points for the function but I don't know how to set the diffEq up.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is way above the expertise of the people on this forum huh :(

What would be the first step in solving this problem?

1. How do I create a differential equation to find mortgage prepayment savings?

To create a differential equation for mortgage prepayment savings, you first need to understand the variables involved. These include the initial loan amount, interest rate, monthly payments, and prepayment amount. Then, you can use the formula for compound interest to create a differential equation that models the changing balance of the loan over time.

2. What is the purpose of using a differential equation to find mortgage prepayment savings?

Using a differential equation allows you to analyze the impact of prepayment on your mortgage savings over time. It takes into account the changing balance and interest rate, giving a more accurate representation of the potential savings compared to simple calculations.

3. Can I use a pre-existing differential equation for mortgage prepayment savings?

While there may be some pre-existing differential equations for mortgage prepayment savings, it is recommended to create your own based on your specific loan terms. This will ensure the most accurate results for your individual situation.

4. How do I incorporate prepayment into an existing differential equation for mortgage payments?

If you already have a differential equation for mortgage payments, you can incorporate prepayment by adding it as a negative term in the equation. This will decrease the balance and ultimately lead to greater savings over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using a differential equation to find mortgage prepayment savings?

While a differential equation can provide a more accurate representation of mortgage prepayment savings, it is important to note that it is still a mathematical model and may not account for all real-world factors. It is always recommended to consult with a financial advisor before making any major financial decisions.