How to define the domain of a 2-variable function as this?

In summary, the domain of a two-variable function f(x,y) is defined as D=\{(x,y)\in R^2| x \in[0,g(y)) or y \in [0,h(x))\}. However, the specific case given, f(x,y)=x+y, suggests that the function is only defined for x and y greater or equal to zero, with the exception of (0,0) depending on the inclusion of 0 in [0,0). The initial statement was contradictory and has been clarified.
loveinla
Hi,

I am wondering how to express the domain of a two-variable function f(x,y) as below.

For any given y, f(x,y) is defined on [0, g(y)); for any given x, f(x,y) is defined on [0, h(x)). Then how should I specify the domain for the function f(x,y)?

To be more specific, f(x,y)=x+y, and for any given y, it is defined on [0, y); for any given x, it is defined on [0, x). I want to know what is the domain of f(x,y).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the domain D is in general

[itex] D=\{(x,y)\in R^2| x \in[0,g(y))[/itex] and [itex]y \in [0,h(x))\}[/itex]

I don't think that without knowing more about h and g you can say more than this which is just a tidier formulation of what you say in your post.

and in the specific case:

[itex] D=\{(0,0)\}[/itex]

maybe even this is excluded since does [0,0) include 0 or not...

Anyway the example says in fact that f(x,y) is only defined for x and y greater or equal zero and x<y and y<x (with the exception above depending on [0,0) including 0 or not).

although the function x+y is then quite arbitrarily restricted since we can easily define that on all of the real plane

Actually now that I think about it the statement is rather contradictory since you say for any given y the function is defined on [0,y) so for instance f(3,4) should then be defined. but you say for any given x it is defined on [0,x) so f(3,4) should not be defined. unless you mean something like at least defined for this and that in which case the formulation of the problem is a bit weird and the answer would simply be:
D is the real plane

and in general

[itex] D=\{(x,y)\in R^2| x \in[0,g(y))[/itex] or [itex]y \in [0,h(x))\}[/itex]

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, you are right. My initial statement is contradictory and not well-defined. Now I have cleared my mind with your comments. Thanks again.

1. How do you define the domain of a 2-variable function?

The domain of a 2-variable function is the set of all possible input values for the two variables in the function. It can be represented as a set of ordered pairs (x,y) or as a graph on a coordinate plane.

2. What is the importance of defining the domain of a 2-variable function?

Defining the domain is important because it helps determine the range of possible outputs for the function. It also ensures that the function is well-defined and avoids any undefined or infinite values.

3. How do you identify the domain of a 2-variable function from a graph?

To identify the domain from a graph, look at the x-values or the values on the horizontal axis. The domain will be all the values for which the graph exists and is continuous.

4. Can the domain of a 2-variable function be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a 2-variable function can be infinite if there are no restrictions on the input values. For example, the function f(x,y) = xy has an infinite domain as there are no limitations on the values of x and y.

5. What are some common restrictions on the domain of a 2-variable function?

Some common restrictions on the domain of a 2-variable function include avoiding negative numbers for certain variables, avoiding division by zero, and avoiding imaginary or complex numbers. These restrictions are necessary to ensure the function is well-defined and produces meaningful outputs.