Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive air drag formula?

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Hello, I have very interesting physic problem. But i really have no idea how to solve it... Maybe somebody can give me some useful hints?

Here we go:

"Air drag (air resistance, drag) is a resisitvie force which is the result of a moving object colliding with air molecules. Dervie the drag formula for a thin disc of area A moving with velocity v throught the air. Treat the air as a dense crowd of tiny particles, of concentration n0 per m^3 and with each having a mass u. Treat the collision as elastic ones. You should obtain the expression of the form Fd = 0.5 C q v^2 A, where C is a dimensionless drag coefficient, and q is air density"
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should probably start by getting the basic kinematics of the collision process down, for example, how many air molecules does the disk collide with in a time dt? Once you have this, you should probably then apply momentum and energy conservation to the collision. See where these suggestions take you.
  4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    0 \ \ <--- A area
    00 \ \
    000 \ \
    0000 - molecules
    Sorry for poor graph. So i can assume that: my area what is "pushing" by disc is Ax, in this area is Axn0 molecules, and mass of this area is Axn0u. I think that the molecules are not moving (so is false in reality, but there is written "dense crowd")
    Probably i have now the solution, bu tell me please, what mean "dimensionless"? Because in my formula is no C, can I assume because of this "dimensionless" that C is so small so i can have this formula without C?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?