How to Derive the Distribution of Two Poisson Processes in Series?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chinnu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Poisson Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Chinnu
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Imagine you want to go from A to C via B. So you have two steps: A to B and B to C. Let's assume the time taken (t1) to go from A to B is Poisson and is given by Pab(t1) and the for B to C is t2 and the distribution is Pbc(t2). You are given:

Pab(t1) = k1exp(-k1t1) and Pbc(t2) = k2exp(-k2t1)

So the total time to go from A to C is t = t1 + t2

Derive the distribution of t, that is, find Pac(t). Also find the mean of this distribution in terms of k1 and k2.

Homework Equations



We can use the basic rules of probability,

The Attempt at a Solution



Is it as simple as this?:

Pac(t) = k1Pab(t1) + k2Pbc(t2)

or is it:

Pac(t) = k1k2exp(-k1t1-k2t2)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am leaning towards the second equation I wrote above, as, if you take the case that k1 = k2 = 1, then the resulting equation is that of a normal poisson with t = t1 + t2.

I only want to know if this thinking is correct, I know how to continue from there.