Hamiltonian operator affecting observable

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment that involves changing the Hamiltonian and performing measurements of an observable. The average observed value of the observable is dependent on the times at which the Hamiltonian is changed and the measurement is taken. If the apparatus malfunctions and the Hamiltonian reverts to its original state at a specific time, it could potentially affect the results of the experiment. The effect would depend on the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonians involved.
UiOStud
I'm working on this problem "Consider an experiment on a system that can be described using two basis functions. In this experiment, you begin in the ground state of Hamiltonian H0 at time t1. You have an apparatus that can change the Hamiltonian suddenly from H0 to H1. You turn this apparatus on at time t1. Then, at time tD > t1, you perform a measurement of an observable,D. In matrix notation, the Hamiltonians and the operator D are given below:

H0 = [0 -4; -4 6], H1 = [1 0; 0 3]"

b) If you perform many, many measurements, what will be the average observed value of D as a function of t1 and tD?
d)You perform the experiment, but suspect your apparatus is malfunctioning and
turning off at some systematic time t2 between t1 and tD. In other words, at some time t2, you suspect the Hamiltonian is reverting to H0. What qualitative effect would this have on your results from part b)? [Note: this only requires a qualitative description, not a full calculation.]"

So I found that <D> = (2/5)(exp(2i[tD-t1])+exp(-2i[tD-t1])+1) which would be the answer in b). I can't seem to figure out d). I was thinking that because H0 is the ground state, the energy would be lower than the one in b). Therefor D would be lower as well. But than again, the two eigenvalues of H0 is -2 an 8. Now -2 is lower than the eigenvalues of H1, but 8 is higher than both the eigenvalues of H1. How can I know which state we are in?

Likes Cecilie Glittum
Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Moving to homework forum.

1. What is a Hamiltonian operator?

A Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system.

2. How does the Hamiltonian operator affect observables?

The Hamiltonian operator is used to calculate the time evolution of observables in a quantum system. It determines the behavior of the system over time and how observables change.

3. Can the Hamiltonian operator affect the outcome of a measurement?

Yes, the Hamiltonian operator plays a crucial role in determining the possible outcomes of a measurement. It dictates the probabilities of different measurement results for a given observable.

4. How is the Hamiltonian operator related to the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The Hamiltonian operator is a key component of the Schrodinger equation, as it represents the total energy of the system.

5. Are there different types of Hamiltonian operators?

Yes, there are different types of Hamiltonian operators depending on the type of system being studied. For example, there are Hamiltonian operators for systems with a fixed number of particles, as well as for systems with varying numbers of particles.