How to Derive the Pressure-Volume Relationship in Thermodynamics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dimensionless
Messages
461
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Given that
[tex]P V^{\gamma} = P_{0} V_{0}^{\gamma}[/tex]
Show that
[tex]dP \doteq - \frac{\gamma P_{0}}{V_{0}} dV[/tex]


Homework Equations


[tex]c^{2} = \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial \rho} \right)_{\rho_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]P = P_{0} \frac{\rho}{\rho_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma = \frac{c_{p}}{c_{v}}[/tex]
[tex]P = \rho r T_{k}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure what the [tex]\doteq[/tex] means, but I can pressume that it is the same thing as an equal sign. Starting with the first equation I can get
[tex]P = \frac{P_{0} V_{0}^{\gamma}}{V^{\gamma} }[/tex]
At this point I get stuck. I could try to relate the volume to the density, but I'm not sure that that would lead anywhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
from my last equation I can get
[tex]dP = \frac{-\gamma P_{0} V_{0}^{\gamma}}{V^{\gamma-1} }dV[/tex]
But this is not a huge help.
 
Last edited:
[tex]P V^{\gamma} = P_{0} V_{0}^{\gamma}[/tex]

by the right hand side is a constant, so derivative or differential is zero.

So one starts with

[tex]d(P V^{\gamma})\,=\,0[/tex] and expand, and then put it in a form

dP = ?, but that seems where one go to.

Also I think its

[tex]dP = \frac{-\gamma P_{0} V_{0}^{\gamma}}{V^{\gamma+1} }dV[/tex]

and then what happens if V ~ Vo?
 
Last edited:
dimensionless said:
from my last equation I can get
[tex]dP = \frac{-\gamma P_{0} V_{0}^{\gamma}}{V^{\gamma-1} }dV[/tex]
But this is not a huge help.

That's wrong. It should read
[tex] dP = \frac{-\gamma P_0 V_0^{\gamma}}{V^{\gamma + 1}}dV[/tex]