How to design a radiator to dissipate heat generated by a 39 KW rotary engine?

In summary: The volumetric efficiency of this engine is not going to tell you a lot about the heat rejection rate which your oil cooler needs to handle. You also need to identify the max. temperature your engine oil can be in order to prevent lubrication breakdown and damage to the engine.
Somanna
No separate coolant is used, instead lubricating oil to be used for both lubrication and cooling of engine. How to calculate radiator size, coolant flow rate?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Roughly how efficient is your engine? That will tell you how much waste heat will have to be dissipated by the radiator per unit time. Why are you designing a radiator instead of using an off-the-shelf component?

Nugatory said:
Roughly how efficient is your engine? That will tell you how much waste heat will have to be dissipated by the radiator per unit time. Why are you designing a radiator instead of using an off-the-shelf component?
Efficiency of the engine is calculated as 90% and BSFC is 300 g/KWH. I am using 5W40 oil for this purpose. So that the lubrication can be more efficient even during low temperature.

What do you mean by off-the shelf-component?

Somanna said:
Efficiency of the engine is calculated as 90% and BSFC is 300 g/KWH. I am using 5W40 oil for this purpose. So that the lubrication can be more efficient even during low temperature.

IC combustion engines are never 90% efficient, thermally. You are lucky if a small engine is 30% efficient. Are you sure this figure doesn't refer to the volumetric efficiency of the engine, i.e., how well air flows into it?

What do you mean by off-the shelf-component?

You can purchase this item by going into a store and picking it up off the stock shelf, i.e., it's ready made.

SteamKing said:
IC combustion engines are never 90% efficient, thermally. You are lucky if a small engine is 30% efficient. Are you sure this figure doesn't refer to the volumetric efficiency of the engine, i.e., how well air flows into it?
You can purchase this item by going into a store and picking it up off the stock shelf, i.e., it's ready made.
Yes, its volumetric efficiency.but then its assumed value. No, I don't want a off the shelf component. I am in a situation where i need to understand the concept and apply the same in design part.

Somanna said:
Yes, its volumetric efficiency.but then its assumed value. No, I don't want a off the shelf component. I am in a situation where i need to understand the concept and apply the same in design part.

The volumetric efficiency of this engine is not going to tell you a lot about the heat rejection rate which your oil cooler needs to handle. You also need to identify the max. temperature your engine oil can be in order to prevent lubrication breakdown and damage to the engine.

If you are not already enrolled in a mechanical engineering program, you probably need to be, in order to get the knowledge necessary to design a cooler for this engine.

1. How is the size of the radiator determined for a 39 KW rotary engine?

The size of the radiator is determined by the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated, which is directly related to the engine's power output. In the case of a 39 KW rotary engine, the radiator needs to be large enough to handle the heat generated by the engine at that power level.

2. What materials should be used in designing a radiator for a 39 KW rotary engine?

The materials used in designing a radiator for a 39 KW rotary engine should have good thermal conductivity and be able to withstand high temperatures. Common materials used include copper, aluminum, and stainless steel. The choice of material will also depend on the specific requirements and budget of the project.

3. What is the ideal placement of the radiator for optimal heat dissipation?

The ideal placement of the radiator is typically in the front of the vehicle, as this allows for maximum airflow and cooling. However, other factors such as space constraints and design considerations may also play a role in determining the placement of the radiator.

4. How can the efficiency of the radiator be improved?

The efficiency of the radiator can be improved by increasing the surface area of the radiator, using materials with higher thermal conductivity, and ensuring proper airflow through the radiator. Other factors such as the design of the radiator, placement, and maintenance also play a role in improving efficiency.

5. How do factors such as ambient temperature and vehicle speed affect the performance of the radiator?

Ambient temperature and vehicle speed can have a significant impact on the performance of the radiator. Higher ambient temperatures and slower vehicle speeds can decrease the effectiveness of the radiator, as there is less airflow to cool the engine. This is why vehicles often have auxiliary fans to help with cooling in these situations.