Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to design a radiator to dissipate heat generated by a 39 KW rotary engine?

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    No separate coolant is used, instead lubricating oil to be used for both lubrication and cooling of engine. How to calculate radiator size, coolant flow rate?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Roughly how efficient is your engine? That will tell you how much waste heat will have to be dissipated by the radiator per unit time. Why are you designing a radiator instead of using an off-the-shelf component?

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Oct 1, 2014 #4
    Efficiency of the engine is calculated as 90% and BSFC is 300 g/KWH. I am using 5W40 oil for this purpose. So that the lubrication can be more efficient even during low temperature.

What do you mean by off-the shelf-component???

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IC combustion engines are never 90% efficient, thermally. You are lucky if a small engine is 30% efficient. Are you sure this figure doesn't refer to the volumetric efficiency of the engine, i.e., how well air flows into it?

You can purchase this item by going into a store and picking it up off the stock shelf, i.e., it's ready made.

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6
    Yes, its volumetric efficiency.but then its assumed value. No, I dont want a off the shelf component. I am in a situation where i need to understand the concept and apply the same in design part.

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The volumetric efficiency of this engine is not going to tell you a lot about the heat rejection rate which your oil cooler needs to handle. You also need to identify the max. temperature your engine oil can be in order to prevent lubrication breakdown and damage to the engine.

If you are not already enrolled in a mechanical engineering program, you probably need to be, in order to get the knowledge necessary to design a cooler for this engine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook