How to design for Fourier filters?

• Thread starter jaycee4u
  • Start date
I am working on an experiment on fourier optics-optical image processing. In order to get edge enhancement, how do we actually go about high pass filtering. How to design filters? How to decide the filter dimensions? Can anyone please help me?

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Convert the image to the Fourier domain, lop off the low-frequency components you don't want, then take the inverse Fourier transform to get back an image. The design of filters is an immense topic, much too large to describe here.

- Warren

I have done that. But to get edge enhancement, hoe to calculate the dimensions of the high pass filter? How to characterize the spatial frequencies? I went through a few books but none gave a method to design filters for my purpose. Would you help me?

rbj

I have done that. But to get edge enhancement, hoe to calculate the dimensions of the high pass filter? How to characterize the spatial frequencies? I went through a few books but none gave a method to design filters for my purpose. Would you help me?
i would take this question to the comp.dsp USENET newsgroup. Google Groups is one way to post there.