Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to design for Fourier filters?

1. Jul 24, 2007 #1
    I am working on an experiment on fourier optics-optical image processing. In order to get edge enhancement, how do we actually go about high pass filtering. How to design filters? How to decide the filter dimensions? Can anyone please help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Convert the image to the Fourier domain, lop off the low-frequency components you don't want, then take the inverse Fourier transform to get back an image. The design of filters is an immense topic, much too large to describe here.

- Warren
  4. Jul 29, 2007 #3
    I have done that. But to get edge enhancement, hoe to calculate the dimensions of the high pass filter? How to characterize the spatial frequencies? I went through a few books but none gave a method to design filters for my purpose. Would you help me?
  5. Jul 30, 2007 #4

i would take this question to the comp.dsp USENET newsgroup. Google Groups is one way to post there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?