Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to detect alpha radiation without a counter?

1. Aug 18, 2014 #1
    Alright if I have an object thats completely constituted of alpha radiation particles (emitting the +2 charge nucleus of a hydrogen atom), how would that be accurately detected taking into consideration that I don't have a Griegor Counter on hand?

Americium-241

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Do you actually have an alpha-source you need to detect, or is this just a question?

4. Aug 18, 2014 #3
    I have an alpha source!

5. Aug 18, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

In the interest of safety, I am going to have to delete a response, close this thread, and advise you to acquire a proper detector. Radiation is dangerous to both you and others around you, and requires strict safety procedures. If you do not know what to use, or where to find the proper equipment, then you probably shouldn't be working with a radiation source. See PF rules by clicking on Site Info at the top of the page and then Rules and Guidelines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook