Relation of EM radiation equation to radioactive decay

In summary, the student asked how the equation for a radiating electric field from an accelerating charged particle relates to radiation from radioactive elements, and my answer was that they would not be related. For alpha and beta radiation, I was less sure, but gamma radiation is part of the EM spectrum, so where does it come from during radioactive decay?
zgoddard3
Hello,

I am a Mechanical Engineering student but I am a TA for an electricity and magnetism course, and I had a student ask a question that's a little bit outside my understanding. The question was related to the equation for a radiating electric field from an accelerating charged particle:

Erad = 1/(4πε0) * -qa/c2r

This is an equation we always teach at the end of the course, but never go into much detail on it, and I myself have never really explored it much further.

The question my student asked was how this equation relates to radiation from radioactive elements. For alpha and beta radiation my answer was that they would not be related, since they are particles with mass, and not EM radiation. For gamma radiation, I was less sure. I remember from chemistry that excited electrons release a photon when falling back to a lower energy level. I was thinking that when the electron changes orbit it would have a sudden change in velocity causing the release of the EM wave. Is this on the right track and would anyone have a good answer that I could give to my student and future students who might have the same question?

Science news on Phys.org
Accelerated charges generate EM radiation, a.k.a. photons. Radioactive decay produces alpha "radiation" (Helium nuclei), beta "radiation" (electrons and positrons), gamma "radiation" (photons) and neutrino "radiation". The EM radiation that is emitted when electrons jump to a lower orbit is not considered radioactivity as the aforementioned products of radioactive decay emanate from the nucleus.

Likes davenn and zgoddard3
For alpha and beta radiation, that is what I thought. But gamma radiation is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, right? So where does it come from during radioactive decay?

A brief search seemed to indicate that gamma radiation during radioactive decay can come from the nucleus or orbiting electrons. For emission from electrons I figured that could be from a change in the orbit or that the gamma radiation could be released with a beta particle, since that electron would also undergo acceleration.

For gamma radiation from the nucleus, all I've found so far is that the gamma radiation is released to bring the nucleus from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, which sounds similar to a electron emitting a photon when moving from one energy level to the next. My question there is what signifies a higher energy state in a nucleus and how does it transition back to a lower energy state?

Likes zgoddard3

1. How are EM radiation and radioactive decay related?

The relationship between EM radiation and radioactive decay lies in the equation E = hf. This equation, known as the Planck-Einstein relation, states that the energy (E) of a photon of electromagnetic radiation is directly proportional to its frequency (f). This means that as the frequency of the radiation increases, so does its energy. Radioactive decay occurs when an unstable atom releases energy in the form of radiation, such as alpha, beta, or gamma particles. This radiation has a specific frequency and can be described using the same equation, thus showing the connection between EM radiation and radioactive decay.

2. What role does EM radiation play in radioactive decay?

EM radiation plays a crucial role in radioactive decay as it is the means by which energy is released from unstable atoms. When an atom undergoes radioactive decay, it emits EM radiation in the form of photons. These photons carry away the excess energy from the decaying atom, allowing it to become more stable. This process continues until the atom reaches a state of stability, and no more radiation is emitted.

3. Can the EM radiation equation be used to predict the rate of radioactive decay?

No, the EM radiation equation cannot be used to predict the rate of radioactive decay. The equation E = hf only describes the relationship between the energy and frequency of EM radiation. The rate of radioactive decay is determined by the half-life of the radioactive element, which is a characteristic property of each specific element. Half-life is defined as the time it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei in a sample to decay.

4. How does EM radiation affect the stability of atoms?

EM radiation can affect the stability of atoms in two ways. Firstly, it can cause an unstable atom to decay by carrying away excess energy in the form of photons. This decay process results in a more stable atom. Secondly, EM radiation can also cause atoms to become unstable. This occurs when high-energy EM radiation, such as gamma rays, collide with atoms, disrupting their nuclei and making them radioactive. This process is known as induced radioactivity.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of EM radiation an atom can emit during radioactive decay?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of EM radiation an atom can emit during radioactive decay. This limit is determined by the amount of excess energy present in the unstable atom. Once the atom reaches a state of stability, it will no longer release radiation. Additionally, EM radiation also follows the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, the total amount of energy released by an atom during radioactive decay will always be equal to or less than the initial amount of excess energy it had.