How to Determine a Photon's Wavefunction After it Collapses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the collapse of a wavefunction of a photon after being measured and how to calculate its spread over time. The equations for calculating this involve Fourier transforms and depend on the shape of the wavefunction at the time of collapse. The equations would change if certain constants were not equal to 1 and finding the wavefunction after collapse can be modeled as a Gaussian. Additionally, the conversation touches on using classical electromagnetic waves to calculate the behavior of a photon after collapse.
Flamel
TL;DR Summary
How would one determine the spread of photon wavefunction after it has been collapsed?
Suppose one measures the position of a photon without destroying it. From my understanding, the wavefunction of the photon should collapse, and will return to a more spread out state over time. How would one calculate this, specifically the rate at which the wavefunction spreads out from the center?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the exact shape of the wave function ##\psi({\bf x}, t_0)## at the time ##t_0## of collapse. Assuming that you know it, you first compute its Fourier transform ##\tilde{\psi}({\bf q})## to write this wave function as
$$\psi({\bf x}, t_0)=\int d^3q\, \tilde{\psi}({\bf q}) e^{i{\bf q}\cdot{\bf x}}$$
Then the wave function at later times ##t## is given by
$$\psi({\bf x}, t)=\int d^3q\, \tilde{\psi}({\bf q}) e^{-i\omega({\bf q})(t-t_0)} e^{i{\bf q}\cdot{\bf x}}$$
where ##\omega({\bf q})=\sqrt{{\bf q}^2}## and I use units ##\hbar=c=1##.

Demystifier said:
It depends on the exact shape of the wave function ##\psi({\bf x}, t_0)## at the time ##t_0## of collapse. Assuming that you know it, you first compute its Fourier transform ##\tilde{\psi}({\bf q})## to write this wave function as
$$\psi({\bf x}, t_0)=\int d^3q\, \tilde{\psi}({\bf q}) e^{i{\bf q}\cdot{\bf x}}$$
Then the wave function at later times ##t## is given by
$$\psi({\bf x}, t)=\int d^3q\, \tilde{\psi}({\bf q}) e^{-i\omega({\bf q})(t-t_0)} e^{i{\bf q}\cdot{\bf x}}$$
where ##\omega({\bf q})=\sqrt{{\bf q}^2}## and I use units ##\hbar=c=1##.
Thanks. If I understand this correctly, I would need to Fourier transform the wavefunction, then plug it into the bottom equation at ##\tilde{\psi}({\bf q})##, correct? How might the equations change if ##\hbar## and c are not equal to 1 and ##\omega({\bf q})## is not equal to ##\sqrt{{\bf q}^2}##?

Also how would I find the wavefunction after it collapses? I think I would need to use one of Maxwell's equations, but I'm not sure which one or how to go about it.

Flamel said:
Thanks. If I understand this correctly, I would need to Fourier transform the wavefunction, then plug it into the bottom equation at ##\tilde{\psi}({\bf q})##, correct?
Yes.

Flamel said:
How might the equations change if ##\hbar## and c are not equal to 1 and ##\omega({\bf q})## is not equal to ##\sqrt{{\bf q}^2}##?
That's left as an exercise for the reader. 😉

Flamel said:
Also how would I find the wavefunction after it collapses? I think I would need to use one of Maxwell's equations, but I'm not sure which one or how to go about it.
There is no simple way to find this, because it depends on details of the measuring apparatus. Note also that most photon detectors do destroy the photon, so your initial task makes more sense for electrons. For practical purposes, you can model your wave function after the collapse as a narrow Gaussian.

You can calculate the wave using classical electromagnetic waves. A photon is an energy quantum of that classical wave.

An example: a flux of coherent photons from a laser meets a narrow slit. The slit corresponds to measuring the x coordinate of a photon quite precisely.

The diffraction pattern of the electromagnetic wave tells you how the photon proceeds. Its velocity in the x direction has afterwards a large uncertainty and the diffraction pattern is very wide.

1. What is a photon's wavefunction?

A photon's wavefunction is a mathematical description of the probability of finding a photon at a specific location and time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How does a photon's wavefunction collapse?

A photon's wavefunction collapses when it interacts with another particle or is observed by a measuring device. This causes the wavefunction to collapse into a single state, determining the photon's position and momentum at that moment.

3. Can a photon's wavefunction be determined after it collapses?

Yes, a photon's wavefunction can be determined after it collapses by measuring its position and momentum. However, the exact wavefunction cannot be determined, only the probability of finding the photon at a specific location and time.

4. What factors affect a photon's wavefunction after it collapses?

The factors that affect a photon's wavefunction after it collapses include the type of interaction or measurement, the environment, and any external forces acting on the photon.

5. How is the wavefunction of a photon related to its behavior?

The wavefunction of a photon is related to its behavior in that it describes the probability of the photon's position and momentum. This affects how the photon will behave in terms of interference patterns and probabilities of being detected at different locations.