How to Determine Electric Field and Potential in an Infinitely Charged Plate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charged Plate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
dingo_d
Messages
199
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Infinite plate is charged with symmetrically due to its central plane x = 0. Volume charge density is equal to [tex]\rho = \rho(| x |)[/tex]. Determine the electric field E and potential [tex]\phi[/tex] within the panel. Take that the potential vanishes at points of the central plane.


Homework Equations



The electric field:

[tex]\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\int\frac{\rho(\vec{r}')(\vec{r}-\vec{r'})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}d^3r'[/tex], and potential is

[tex]\phi(\vec{r})=\int\frac{\rho(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|}d^3r'[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



What I'm having problem with is setting this up.

So I have an infinite charged plate, and I'm assuming it looks like this:

[PLAIN]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9877/73983825.png

And it goes to infinity in those directions. How to set up the coordinate system? Do I use some random point P away from the plate and look the E and [tex]\phi[/tex] there or do I use the method of images?

I'm totally lost :\
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd stick with Cartesian coordinates for it. Then use the differential form of Gauss' Law. [tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\bullet[/tex]E=[tex]\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{o}}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Ok, but still I need to calculate the electric field, I could use [tex]\nabla\cdot\vec{E}=4\pi \rho[/tex] but I'd still need to integrate it to get E...
 
I think the point is that if you integrate along the x-axis you get [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{\rho(x)}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]dx[tex]\widehat{x}[/tex]