How to Determine the Mass of an Ice Cube Using a Calorimeter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 999iscool
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Ice Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 13K views
999iscool
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



So we are given an ice cube of unknown mass, and the goal is to determine the mass after putting it in the calorimeter.

We know the initial mass of the warm water. Is this the only way to solve the ice mass?
I looked it up and the purple font is my values. Please the image below.

http://i.imgur.com/NchJ5.png

Please tell me?

My friend said all I had to do is use Q = m * Heat of Fusion of ice where Q is the heat lost by warm water. I disagree with him because the there is actually two states of transformations: from ice to cold liquid, and warm liquid <---> cold liquid. So there must be two states of phases changing.

Thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And you are right, you are given final temperature for a reason.