Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine what electric motor to use. Need guidance please.

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    Hello all!

I'm an engineering student who is taking part in a group project to design and build a UAV to carry out surveillance in Greenland. Now my specific task is to sort out our means of propulsion and materials. The problem is up to now I have only learnt about petrol propulsion systems in terms of maths.

We are aiming to use an electric motor due to several limitations such as cost and weight. I was therefore wondering if someone could link me to some material which explains the mathematics that need to be attempted in order to work out for example:-

The range equation for an electric motor.
    Thrust that can be provided.
    How to tell whether or not a battery will be compatible with a certain electric motor. Etc...

SilentIdea

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

What makes you think electric motors are cheaper and lighter than petrol engines?

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3
    I've sent you a PM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook