Selecting electric motors for a UAV surveillance project in Greenland

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
SilentIdea
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello all!

I'm an engineering student who is taking part in a group project to design and build a UAV to carry out surveillance in Greenland. Now my specific task is to sort out our means of propulsion and materials. The problem is up to now I have only learned about petrol propulsion systems in terms of maths.

We are aiming to use an electric motor due to several limitations such as cost and weight. I was therefore wondering if someone could link me to some material which explains the mathematics that need to be attempted in order to work out for example:-

The range equation for an electric motor.
Thrust that can be provided.
How to tell whether or not a battery will be compatible with a certain electric motor. Etc...

SilentIdea
 
Physics news on Phys.org