How to Determine x(t) for a Particle Given Initial Conditions and a(x)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter crimpedupcan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expression
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
crimpedupcan
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Suppose I have a particle on a line, and I know some function a(x) and the initial x, v, and a. How could I work out x(t)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
integrate!

v(t) = integral of a(t)dt + v(t=0)
x(t) = integral of v(t)dt + x(t=0)
 
Thanks for the reply.
From what I understand your solution requires me to know a(t), but what can I do if I only know a(x)?
 
Ah, then you have:

x''(t) = f(x(t))

This is a 2nd order autonomous differential equation with a general solution, although if f is tricky then you might need a numerical integrator to solve it. The trick is to multiply through by 2x'(t) then factor the left side into ((x'(t))^2)'. Then you can find x(t) by integrating, taking the square root, and integrating again.
 
Thanks a lot!
I think I've seen that method applied before to simple harmonic motion, I wish I made the connection earlier.
 
No problem. It caught me a little off guard as well!
 
If you only know a(x), you can use the following:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dx} = a(x)[/tex]
Then:
[tex]\int v dv = \frac{v^2}{2}= \int a(x) dx[/tex]
After integrating, this can be solved for v(x). Then:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v(x)[/tex]
[tex]\int dt = t = \int \frac{dx}{v(x)}[/tex]
After integrating, this gives t(x), which can then be inverted to give x(t). This procedure can be complicated and mathematically difficult, but it will work, at least numerically.
 
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for