How to diagonalize Hamiltonian with Zeeman field

• I
  • Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
Recently I have been asked to solve the problem of an electron in a Zeeman-field that couples the spin of the electron to the magnetic field.
I am not sure how to correctly set up the problem. I think, however, that what I have done on the picture is correct. The usual p^2/2m + V term in the Hamiltonian is tensored with the identity matrix and the Zeeman term is added in the usual way.
I am however unsure how to solve this Hamiltonian. How do you solve something like this with both an eigenvalue equation in the matrix structure and in the spatial part of H?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is usually solved perturbatively. Most QM textbooks have a chapter on time-independent perturbation theory.

Okay but is it not possible to find the exact analytical expression for the eigenenergies?

DrDu
Science Advisor
Easy. Just find a unitary transformation which rotates B in the direction of the z axis. Then the hamiltonian will be diagonal as only the sigma_z component remains.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Easy. Just find a unitary transformation which rotates B in the direction of the z axis. Then the hamiltonian will be diagonal as only the sigma_z component remains.
This diagonalizes the interaction Hamiltonian, but not the full Hamiltonian.

DrDu
Science Advisor
If B is constant, it does, at least in spin space.

Likes Demystifier