Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to diagonalize Hamiltonian with Zeeman field

1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    Recently I have been asked to solve the problem of an electron in a Zeeman-field that couples the spin of the electron to the magnetic field.
    I am not sure how to correctly set up the problem. I think, however, that what I have done on the picture is correct. The usual p^2/2m + V term in the Hamiltonian is tensored with the identity matrix and the Zeeman term is added in the usual way.
    I am however unsure how to solve this Hamiltonian. How do you solve something like this with both an eigenvalue equation in the matrix structure and in the spatial part of H?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2016 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

This is usually solved perturbatively. Most QM textbooks have a chapter on time-independent perturbation theory.

4. Aug 30, 2016 #3
    Okay but is it not possible to find the exact analytical expression for the eigenenergies?

5. Aug 31, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Easy. Just find a unitary transformation which rotates B in the direction of the z axis. Then the hamiltonian will be diagonal as only the sigma_z component remains.

6. Aug 31, 2016 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

This diagonalizes the interaction Hamiltonian, but not the full Hamiltonian.

7. Aug 31, 2016 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

If B is constant, it does, at least in spin space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted