Questions on the classical interpretation of (normal) Zeeman effect

ValeForce46
I'll put pictures from the book as I think they are relevant to understand the problem:
kKxhdiY.png

I have trouble understanding the case where the observer watches the source in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field. The electron will rotate around B axis, so the observer will only see a linear oscillation of the electron hence linearly polarized light.
But how can the Lorentz force explain the splitting of spectral lines? The book suggest to view the linear oscillation as a combination of two counter-rotating motions like this:
KC023xR.png

But if this is the case, the Lorentz force would act in a plane perpendicular to the image so it won't explain the change of the frequency of the circular motion of the electron (and so the Zeeman splitting, classically).
Instead the situation is clear when we observe along the direction of B, as in that case Lorentz force would act radially.

Physics news on Phys.org
@ValeForce46 this is the quantum physics forum. Why are you using classical physics to analyze this problem?

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
@ValeForce46 this is the quantum physics forum. Why are you using classical physics to analyze this problem?
Sorry, I shouldn't have posted here. It was my first impulse, because this is just the introduction to the Zeeman effect and later the book use quantum physics to explain it.

If it can't be moved, yes. I'll re-post on classical physics. Sorry.

I can move it to classical physics, but the answer there is simple: the Zeeman effect isn't a classical effect so there is no classical explanation for it. Is it even worth moving the thread?

Likes vanhees71
Well, according to the book I am reading (from which I took the pictures I posted), "Introduction to the Structure of Matter: A Course in Modern Physics" by John J. Brehm and William J. Mullins, there is a classical interpretation, at least for the "normal" version (no spin is involved yet) of the effect where we see splitting in just 3 lines.

ValeForce46 said:
according to the book I am reading (from which I took the pictures I posted), "Introduction to the Structure of Matter: A Course in Modern Physics" by John J. Brehm and William J. Mullins, there is a classical interpretation, at least for the "normal" version (no spin is involved yet) of the effect where we see splitting in just 3 lines.
I don't see how there can be a purely classical interpretation since classical physics can't even explain the existence of spectral lines in the first place--or the existence of atoms, for that matter. According to classical physics electrons around an atomic nucleus should emit a continuous spectrum of radiation as they spiral into the nucleus; there should be no spectral lines and atoms should not be stable.

The book might be using a classical approximation of QM for this particular phenomenon, which would be based on an underlying quantum model.

Likes vanhees71
I guess it's using the old quantum theory a la Bohr and Sommerfeld. I'd not recommend any book, which dwells on this old-fashioned theory, which provides wrong pictures even on the qualitative level. Also one should stress that particularly the Zeeman effect was among the many hints at the failure of these models and was understood only with the modern QT and the introduction of spin, i.e., the Pauli Equation.

Likes dextercioby
Well, thank you anyway for the replies. I suppose, if my questions have no answers, you might as well delete this thread.

ValeForce46 said:
I suppose, if my questions have no answers, you might as well delete this thread.
On further consideration, the information that there is no classical interpretation of the Zeeman effect might be useful for other readers, so the thread will remain visible.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the classical interpretation of the Zeeman effect?

The classical interpretation of the Zeeman effect is a phenomenon in which the spectral lines of an atom are split into multiple lines when placed in a magnetic field. This was first observed by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman in 1896 and can be explained by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom's electrons.

2. What is the normal Zeeman effect?

The normal Zeeman effect refers to the splitting of spectral lines into three components (known as the triplet structure) when an atom is placed in a magnetic field. This occurs when the magnetic field is weak, and the energy levels of the atom are not significantly affected.

3. How is the Zeeman effect different from the Stark effect?

The Zeeman effect and the Stark effect are both phenomena that result from the interaction between an atom and an external field. However, the Zeeman effect is caused by a magnetic field, while the Stark effect is caused by an electric field. Additionally, the Zeeman effect splits spectral lines, while the Stark effect shifts them.

4. What is the significance of the Zeeman effect in modern physics?

The Zeeman effect played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of atomic structure. It provided evidence for the existence of electron spin and helped to confirm the Bohr model of the atom. It also has practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Can the Zeeman effect be observed in everyday life?

The Zeeman effect is not typically observed in everyday life, as it requires specific conditions (such as a strong magnetic field) and sensitive equipment to detect the splitting of spectral lines. However, it can be observed in laboratory experiments and is essential in fields such as astronomy and atomic physics.