Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to differentiate by a vector ?

1. Mar 8, 2014 #1

dyn

Is it possible to differentiate a scalar( in this case a Lagrangian) by a vector ?
    If the Lagrangian is r.A ie. the scalar product of vectors r and A what is ∂L/∂r ? My notes say it is A but how ?
    My notes also say that ∂L/∂r is the same as ∇L. Is this correct ? or is it sloppy notation ? or is it because the vector is treated as a generalised coordinate which acts as a scalar ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like they're just defining ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial\vec r}## to mean ##\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial r_1} ,\frac{\partial L}{\partial r_2},\frac{\partial L}{\partial r_3}\right)##.

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Fredrik's right - that's what they mean.

5. Mar 8, 2014 #4

dyn

Thanks. Is it technically possible in precise terms to differentiate by a vector ? As far as I understand grad div and curl isn't differentiating by a vector.

6. Mar 9, 2014 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a function f that exists over a vector domain R the vector derivative is defined as:

df(R)/dA = lim [f(R + eps*A) - f(R)]/eps

Note that the vector A must be a unit vector here; the vector derivative is a directional derivative in the direction A.

You can easily prove that this can be calculated via:
    A (dot) grad (f).

7. Mar 9, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do people use the notation df/dA for that? (I don't have a problem with it. I'm just not used to seeing it). I would use something like ##D_Af##.

I wouldn't call this "differentiating by a vector". It's just the directional derivative of f in the direction of the unit vector A. It's the ordinary derivative of the function ##t\mapsto f(x+tA)##, which is a function from ##\mathbb R## into ##\mathbb R##.

8. Mar 9, 2014 #7

dyn

When all this occurs with the Euler-Lagrange equations is the vector just treated as a scalar ?

9. Mar 9, 2014 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I even understand what it would mean to treat a vector as a scalar.

10. Mar 9, 2014 #9

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, this notation is used, especially in older texts.

And yes, the directional derivative has been called "differentiating by a vector" ... the terminology is consistent with the Leibniz notation.

I like your notation better; it is more modern-looking. I'll use it next time and be more hip!

11. Mar 10, 2014 #10
    I don't think it's sloppy notation. It's just different notation. Although, it's probably better to include tensor indices when written that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook