1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to differentiate this potential energy function?

1. Aug 15, 2015 #1

diredragon

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the potential energy function V(x,y)=V(ax-by) where a,b is an arbitrary constants differentiate with respect to x and y.

2. Relevant equations
    Multivariavle differentiation

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer yields (d/dt)p1=-aV'(ax-by)
    (d/dt)p2=+bV'(ax-by). The right side is confusing. How did it get to that? Im not in my MultiCal class yet as im just in the middle of SingCal so i dont get it. Can you guide through the process?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Assuming ## z=ax-by ## and using chain rule, we have:
    ## \frac{dV}{dx}=\frac{dV}{dz}\frac{dz}{dx}=a\frac{dV}{dz}##. Now we change the name of ## \frac{dV}{dz} ## to ## V'##.

4. Aug 15, 2015 #3

diredragon

Gold Member

Ok, but why is it -aV'?

5. Aug 15, 2015 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

At first I didn't know what are p1 and p2 and what are those equations, but I thought you yourself know! Anyway, I think those are the x and y components of Newton's 2nd law and so they are components of ## \frac{d\vec p}{dt}=-[\frac{dV}{dx}\hat x+\frac{dV}{dy}\hat y]##. The extra minus sign is because of the minus sign in the formula itself.

6. Aug 15, 2015 #5

diredragon

Gold Member

Oh yes, i know what the equations are but have totally forgotten about the minus in front of the right side of lagrangian. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted