1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to draw tangent from point of inflection on a chart with peaks

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    Hi , I have an assignment which requires that I draw tangents from the point of inflection on a peak to the x-axis.I still cannot figure out how to do that using qtiplot or excel.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can't you just print out the plot of the curve, and then manually draw in the tangent line?

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3
    I'm having a bit of a problem with the phrase "the point of inflection on a peak". Except for things like square waves, inflection points don't happen on peaks.

Are you quoting the assignment precisely?

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In excel, you can add another data series to your plot and adjust the values accordingly to get any line you want.

6. Oct 14, 2014 #5
    I can , I thought it should look very professional.Sometimes I cant help thinking that way , thanks for drawing my attention to 'common sense'

Its a chromatogram

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted