1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the point of inflection for the function

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find any points of inflection for the function y = x - cos x on the interval {0,2pi}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well i know the second derivative is cos x, and I know it equals 0. But im just not sure what to give as a final answer. cos x = 0 at pi/2 and 3pi/2 but is that the final answer?

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

cos(x) is not identically zero. To confirm that there are inflection points for x = pi/2 and x = 3pi/2, check to see whether the concavity changes around these values. IOW, does y'' change sign at pi/2 and 3pi/2? If so, you're almost done, and the only other thing is to find the y values at these points. Those will be your inflection points.

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    how do I check around those values, Im not sure how to use something like pi/2 in this case.

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then use pi/2+ .001 and pi/ - .001! What do you mean "use pi/2"? It is a number! enter it into your calculator. Be sure you calculator is set to "radian" mode of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook