Max Extrema and Point of Inflection

In summary, to find the extremas and points of inflections for g(t)= 1+(2+t)e^(-t), you need to find g(t)' and g(t)'' and then plug the values for t into the original function to get the corresponding y-coordinate. The critical point is (-1, 1+e) and the point of inflection is (0,3).
kari82
1. find the extremas and points of inflections

2. g(t)= 1+(2+t)e^(-t)

3. So i know you need to find g(t)' and g(t)''

g(t)'= -e^(-t)(1+t)
g(t)''= (t)e^(-t)

my critical point is t=-1 (max) and my point of inflection is t=o

How do I get to max extrema being (-1, 1+e) and point of inflection (0,3)? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've only given the x-coordinates of your critical point and point of inflection. The actual point is (t, g(t)). In other words you need to plug the values for t you have into the original function to get the corresponding y-coordinate.

Thank you so much! I knew it wasnt hard... I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks again!

FAQ: Max Extrema and Point of Inflection

1. What is a maxima or minima point?

A maxima or minima point, also known as an extremum, is a point on a graph where the function reaches its highest or lowest value. In other words, it is the peak or valley of a curve.

2. How do you find the maxima and minima points of a function?

To find the maxima and minima points of a function, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-values where the derivative is equal to zero. These x-values will be the coordinates of the maxima and minima points.

3. What is a point of inflection?

A point of inflection is a point on a graph where the concavity changes. In other words, it is the point where the curve changes from being concave up to concave down, or vice versa.

4. How do you determine the point of inflection of a function?

To find the point of inflection of a function, you can take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the x-value where the second derivative is equal to zero. This x-value will be the coordinate of the point of inflection.

5. Are all extremum points also points of inflection?

No, not all extremum points are points of inflection. A point of inflection is only present when the concavity of the function changes, whereas an extremum point can occur without a change in concavity. However, some extremum points can also be points of inflection if the concavity changes at the same point where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value.