Finding the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x

In summary, Homework Statement:Find the coordinates of the first inflection point to the right of the origin.

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the first inflection point to the right of the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the inflection point would equal zero for the second derivative of a function and that the second derivative of this function is (xcosx-sinx)/x².
(xcosx-sinx)/x² = 0
(xcosx-sinx) = 0
xcosx = sinx
x = tanx

I'm not sure what to do after this or if the steps were taken incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
312213 said:

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the first inflection point to the right of the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the inflection point would equal zero for the second derivative of a function and that the second derivative of this function is (xcosx-sinx)/x².
(xcosx-sinx)/x² = 0
(xcosx-sinx) = 0
xcosx = sinx
x = tanx

I don't see what's wrong with that unless you don't know how to then find them numerically.

I know that I can find the approximate number but I don't know where to go next to find the exact value of x for the first inflection point.

I don't know what steps to take next to isolate x in one side and to have one x.

So then an acceptable answer would be (tan(x),Si(tan(x))?

The points of inflexions are when [tex] \tan x = x [/tex] as you said. This equation have an infinite number of solutions.

I don't really understand what you mean with [tex] ( \tan(x), Si(\tan(x) ) [/tex].
One point of inflexion would be for example [tex] ( x_1 , Si(x_1))[/tex] where [tex]x_1[/tex] is defined to be the first positive solution to the equation [tex] \tan x = x [/tex]

I see and understand now. Thanks for the help.

312213 said:
(xcosx-sinx)/x² = 0
(xcosx-sinx) = 0
xcosx = sinx
x = tanx

[EDIT] Thanks Inferior89

[STRIKE]Actually that's just the first derivative, not the second.
[/STRIKE]
If you want to [STRIKE]consider the values that give the extreme points of sinx/x where you would actually[/STRIKE] solve x = tanx, you might want to take a look here on the second page.
http://press.princeton.edu/books/maor/chapter_10.pdf
Very interesting. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bohrok said:
Actually that's just the first derivative, not the second.

If you want to consider the values that give the extreme points of sinx/x where you would actually solve x = tanx, you might want to take a look here on the second page.
http://press.princeton.edu/books/maor/chapter_10.pdf
Very interesting. :smile:

He is finding the second derivative of Si(x) not sin(x)/x.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x?

The point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x is the point on the graph where the curvature changes from positive to negative, or vice versa. It is the point where the second derivative of the integral is equal to zero.

2. How do you find the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x?

To find the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x, you first need to find the second derivative of the integral. Then, set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for x. The resulting value of x is the point of inflection.

3. Can the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x be negative?

Yes, the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x can be negative. This means that the curvature changes from positive to negative on the left side of the graph, and from negative to positive on the right side of the graph.

4. Is the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x always a whole number?

No, the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x is not always a whole number. It can be a decimal or a fraction, depending on the value of x that satisfies the second derivative equal to zero.

5. Why is finding the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x important?

Finding the point of inflection of the integral of (sin(x))/x can provide valuable information about the behavior of the graph. It can help determine where the graph changes direction or where the curvature is the greatest. This information can be useful in various applications, such as optimization problems and curve fitting.