1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could I get some help determining the point of inflection of a function?

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the point of inflection on the graph y = x^4 - 4x^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The second derivative of this function is 12x^2 - 24x

I dont know how to show my work to get a point of inflection of (0,0)

How would I go about doing that?

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2
    Set the second derivative equal to zero and solve. You should get two values and then check a trial point on both sides of each of those in order to make sure that the concavity changes.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    How do I do a trial to see the concavity changes?

I figured here my x values were x = 0 and x = 2. Do I plug these values into the second derivative to determine if the concavity changes?

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. At each of these points y'' should change from pos to neg or neg to pos.

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    I used the original function to check to see if it changes from positive to negative and vise versa, not y". When I used y" it told me x=2 is a point of inflection when I can see on the graph that it is not.

7. Feb 26, 2009 #6
    Oh I think I got it wrong. x=2 is a point of inflection. Could someone verify for me? I get (0,0) and (2,-16) as points of infection for this function.

8. Feb 26, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the second derivative is, as you said, [itex]f"(x)= 12x^2- 24x= 12x(x- 2)[/itex]. If x< 0, both x and x-2 are negative so f" is positive. If 0< x< 2, x is positive while x- 2 is still negative so f" is negative. If 2< x, both x and x-2 are positive so f" is positive. f" changes sign at both 0 and 2 so 0 and 2 are inflection points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook