How to emulate the sound of a ringing bell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rootzee
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 493 views
Rootzee
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
How did you find PF?
internet
Hello all, new to this forum. For an (art) sound installation I would like to apply the the changes in frequency one can hear when a church bell is swinging through the air onto other acoustic sounds in a computer.

I understand there are many variables ( size, material and thickness of the bell, speed it is swinging with, force it is being hit with, rate of decay, surrounding acoustics, etc etc) but I am wondering if anybody knows of certain frequency curves that are at play in the changing sounds (Doppler effect among others?).

My background is in music, not in physics. I am using Logic Pro as my computer software to record and edit, but I can get my hands on other software if necessary. Perhaps it would be useful to first establish the sound frequency characteristics of a generic bell (sounding in place), and then add the expected changes when swinging in the air?
Many thanks for your thoughts.

( my sincere apologies if this is not the right place to post this - please advise as to where to post this properly)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

This thread is meant to introduce yourself if you wish to. For technical questions please use our technical forums. I see that you already did so. Thus:

Stay curious and have fun!