How to Estimate Tensile Force on a Pre-Tensioned Rope?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Glype11
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Tensile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Glype11
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
I figure that there is a connection with how much a given forces displaces the rope in the perpendicularly direction. Obviously the more tension on the rope then there will be less displacement with a given force. I'm not sure how to progress from that point.

Any other ideas on how to estimate the amount the force for a rope in tension?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Glype11 said:
I figure that there is a connection with how much a given forces displaces the rope in the perpendicularly direction. Obviously the more tension on the rope then there will be less displacement with a given force.
I guess you mean "the more pre-tension ...", because the final tension will be greater with more displacement.
Glype11 said:
I'm not sure how to progress from that point.
You have to assume some elasticity model of the rope like Hooke's Law and draw a force vector diagram.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
A.T. said:
I guess you mean "the more pre-tension ...", because the final tension will be greater with more displacement.
You have to assume some elasticity model of the rope like Hooke's Law and draw a force vector diagram.
A simple model would be one where the pretension is large relative to the increase in tension due to a small lateral displacement -- assume that tension is unchanged. Then all you have to deal with is trigonometry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Glype11, Chestermiller and etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
A simple model would be one where the pretension is large relative to the increase in tension due to a small lateral displacement -- assume that tension is unchanged. Then all you have to deal with is trigonometry.
Simple model indeed. I overlooked it.
 
A force that is perpendicularly applied to a pre-tensioned rope can develop a huge mechanical advantage regarding the pulling tension of that rope.
Pulling vehicles out of mud pits using a rope attached to a tree is a known technique.

Please, see applicable examples and calculations:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/s...-6-common-forces/#CNX_UPhysics_05_06_StuckCar

Here you can see how the Hooke’s law applies to ropes:
https://www.phys.ksu.edu/personal/m...ing/Belaying/ProblemSpringConstantOfARope.pdf

:cool: