How to evaluate pure Mode-II SIF using Abaqus?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am trying to evaluate pure Mode-II SIF using Abaqus for edge normal crack in the plate. The solution i am getting using Abaqus is not matching with the theoretical SIF.
The boundary condition i have used is shown in fig attached.
suggest me proper boundary condition to evaluate the SIF.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

jrmichler
Science Advisor
The last time I used Abaqus, it came with a thick book of example problems. I'm sure that at least one of those problems analyzed a crack.

The boundary conditions that you show are quite simple. The crack itself is not so simple. It is likely that your solution not matching is related to your selection of element and/or how you meshed your model.

As a master's student, your task is to figure out how to properly model this problem. You need to select the element, and justify your selection. Then you need to mesh your model properly, and justify that also. And you will need to convince your advisor.

The last time I used Abaqus, it came with a thick book of example problems. I'm sure that at least one of those problems analyzed a crack.

The boundary conditions that you show are quite simple. The crack itself is not so simple. It is likely that your solution not matching is related to your selection of element and/or how you meshed your model.

As a master's student, your task is to figure out how to properly model this problem. You need to select the element, and justify your selection. Then you need to mesh your model properly, and justify that also. And you will need to convince your advisor.

Thanks for your reply.
I have solved problem for Pure Mode-I on same plate and there is close agreement between theoretical and Abaqus results. I have used 2D CPS8R element in solving this problem.
but it is not working in case of Mode-II SIF.

jrmichler
Science Advisor
Time to hit the fracture mechanics books. I did a quick search with search terms fracture mode 2 fea, and this popped up: http://www.mate.tue.nl/~piet/edu/frm/pdf/frmsyl1213.pdf. It discusses some of the challenges in modelling near a crack tip, and provides some references that appear to apply to your specific problem. Search forward from those sources, and you should find answers to your case.

Time to hit the fracture mechanics books. I did a quick search with search terms fracture mode 2 fea, and this popped up: http://www.mate.tue.nl/~piet/edu/frm/pdf/frmsyl1213.pdf. It discusses some of the challenges in modelling near a crack tip, and provides some references that appear to apply to your specific problem. Search forward from those sources, and you should find answers to your case.
Thanks.