Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to evaluate sin(t-tau)cos(tau) wrt tau(0t)?

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    How to integrate sin(t-tau)cos(tau)d(tau) where tau = 0..t

Maple gives answer (1/2)*t*sin(t)

How can we compute it by hand?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would start with a trig identity. sin(t- tau)= sin(t)cos(tau)- cos(t)sin(tau). Now the integral is
    [tex]\int_0^t (sin(t)cos^2(tau)- cos(t)cos(tau)sin(tau)) dtau[/tex]
    [tex]= sin(t)\int_0^t cos2(tau)dtau- cos(t)\int_0^t cos(tau)sin(tau)dtau[/tex]
    You can integrate the first by using cos2(tau)= (1/2(1+ cos(2tau)) and in the second, let u= sin(tau).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. Aug 25, 2008 #3
    Any simple way to do it?

If this happened in the exam, it will be a disaster!

5. Aug 25, 2008 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should learn the trig identities well enough so that they ARE simple to you. Then you can apply them in exams.

If you forget the sum-of-angles formula, you can easily derive it from Euler's formula:

[tex]e^{i(\theta + \phi)} = \cos (\theta + \phi) + i \sin (\theta + \phi)[/tex]

[tex]e^{i\theta} e^{i\phi} = \cos (\theta + \phi) + i \sin (\theta + \phi)[/tex]

[tex](\cos \theta + i \sin \theta) (\cos \phi + i \sin \phi) = \cos (\theta + \phi) + i \sin (\theta + \phi)[/tex]

[tex](\cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin \theta \sin \phi) + i (\cos \theta \sin \phi + \sin \theta \cos \phi) = \cos (\theta + \phi) + i \sin (\theta + \phi)[/tex]

from which you can read off the two identities:

[tex]\cos (\theta + \phi) = \cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin \theta \sin \phi[/tex]

[tex]\sin (\theta + \phi) = \cos \theta \sin \phi + \sin \theta \cos \phi[/tex]

6. Aug 25, 2008 #5
    Unable to obtain (1/2)*t*sin(t) from this method.
    Would you please show a little steps?

7. Aug 26, 2008 #6
    Which integral are you stuck on? Show your work.

8. Aug 26, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi lkj-17 and HallsofIvy! :smile:
    Do it in one go with sinA cosB = (sin(A+B) + sin(A-B))/2:

∫sin(t-tau)cos(tau)dtau = ∫(sint + sin(t-2tau))dtau/2. :smile:

9. Aug 26, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that was what was originally suggested. Apparently ikj-17 feels he is not capable of doing that.

10. Aug 26, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No … the original suggestion was sin(A-B) = sinAcosB - cosAsinB, which is different, and only dealt with half the expression.

sinA cosB = (sin(A+B) + sin(A-B))/2 deals with the whole thing in one go, and avoids all those nasty squares. :biggrin:

ikj-17 may even be able to integrate ∫(sint + sin(t-2tau))dtau/2 from 0 to t just by looking at it! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?