1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to evaluate stability of a non-causal System?

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    Imp.jpg

For this problem I have taken laplace(one-sided) transform of h(t) which gives me
    H(s)=1/(s-α). From this I can state that α must be -ve for G(s) to be stable.
    But my problem is while taking one-sided Laplace Transform the exp(βt)u(-t) part gives 0.
    So in H(s) according to my calculation, β doesn't appear. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As I said, this problem deals with a nonexistent situation (anyone diosagree?).

But: the u(t) part is easy: what does exp(αt) do as t → ∞?

Now for the noncausal part: u(-t) = 1 for t < 0 and = 0 for t => 0. So for any negative value of t, what does exp(βt) do as t gets more and more negative, approaching t → -∞, with β positive or negative?

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3
    @rude man,

I think your approach gives the proper soln. α should -ve and β by your logic should be positive.

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's where I would put my chips. t → -t in the u(-t) term.

I still think you should ask your prof if that problem has any physical meaning. Unless you're a math purist I see no reason to worry about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook