How to Expand Noncommuting Variables in a Formal Power Series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
fuchini
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Need to show that [tex][a,f(a,a^\dagger]=\frac{\partial f}{\partial a^\dagger}[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex][a,a^\dagger]=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Need to expand [tex]f(a,a^\dagger)[/tex] in a formal power series. However I don´t know how to do it if the variables don´t commute.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##f(a,a^+)= b_0+ b_1 a+b_2 a^+ b_3 a^2 +b_4 aa^+ +b_5 a^+a+b_6 (a^+)^2+\ldots##
So the general term is some product of a and ##a^+## in arbitrary order.
 
Thanks for answering, but how would it be in terms of derivatives? Normally It would be:

[tex]f=\sum_{m,n} \frac{a^m a^{\dagger m}}{n!m!}\frac{\partial^{n+m} f}{\partial a^n \partial a^{\dagger m}}[/tex]

But in this case I guess I have to take into account that they're noncommuting.
 
Start with a simpler case, i.e., ##f = (a^\dagger)^n## only. Use induction (on ##n##) to show that the desired formula holds. Once you understand the induction method for this problem, you'll probably work it out for more general ##f## more easily.