Creation/Anhilation Operator Commutation Relation

In summary, the commutator involving the creation and annihilation operators can be simplified to -a times the square root of a^†a. This can be found by breaking up the commutator and using the identity [A, BC] = [A, B]C + B[A, C].
teroenza

Homework Statement

Simplify the following commutator involving the creation and annihilation operators.

[tex][a^{\dagger}a,a \sqrt{a^\dagger a} ][/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that [tex] [a,a^\dagger] = 1[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should be trying to put the creation operators to the left (normal ordering). I have also worked out
[tex][a^{\dagger}a,a]=a[/tex], but can't seem to figure out what to do in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no need to try too hard with normal ordering - notice that you have an operator and its square root in the commutation relation! Just break up the commutator using the identity [itex]\left[A, BC\right] = \left[A, B\right]C + B\left[A, C\right] [/itex]

I see. Then the result is just:
[tex][a^{\dagger}a,a \sqrt{a^\dagger a} ]=a\sqrt{a^\dagger a} + (a^\dagger a)^{3/2}-(a^\dagger a)^{3/2}=a\sqrt{a^\dagger a}[/tex]

Hmm...I think you are off by a minus sign. [itex][a^{\dagger}a,a] = - a [/itex]

Yep, you're right. My original post above is off by a negative too.

What is the Creation Operator?

The creation operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to create a new particle or excitation in a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol "a" and is the Hermitian conjugate of the annihilation operator.

What is the Annihilation Operator?

The annihilation operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to destroy a particle or excitation in a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol "a" and is the Hermitian conjugate of the creation operator.

What is the Commutation Relation between Creation and Annihilation Operators?

The commutation relation between creation and annihilation operators is a fundamental relationship in quantum mechanics. It states that the commutator of the creation and annihilation operators is equal to the identity operator, or [a, a] = 1. This relationship is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems and is an important tool in calculating quantum mechanical observables.

How does the Commutation Relation affect Quantum States?

The commutation relation between creation and annihilation operators affects quantum states by determining the allowed energy levels and possible excitations in a quantum system. The commutator of these operators is related to the energy of a particle, and the eigenvalues of the commutator correspond to the energy levels of the system. Additionally, the commutation relation allows for the creation and annihilation of particles, which is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

What is the Significance of the Commutation Relation in Quantum Mechanics?

The commutation relation is significant in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental property of quantum systems. It allows for the quantization of energy levels and determines the behavior of particles in a quantum system. The commutation relation is also used in many calculations and equations in quantum mechanics, making it an essential tool in understanding and describing the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.