Help with 2nd order Runge Kutta and series expansion

In summary, the conversation is about expanding a formula to third order in \tau and comparing it to another expanded formula. The equations \frac{dx}{dt}(t) = f(x(t),t) and \frac{d^n}{dt^n}f(x(t),t) = \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial x} + \frac{\partial }{\partial t}\right)^n f are mentioned and the person is struggling with how to expand them. They also ask for clarification on what equation 3.25 has to do with the problem.
jkthejetplane
Homework Statement
2nd order Runge Kutta problem
Relevant Equations
Second order Runge Kutta
So here's my homework question:

1602726341491.png

This is the reference formula along with the Rung-Kutta form with the variables mentioned in the question
1602726470217.png

Here is my attempt so far:
1602726723197.png

Problem is that i am unsure how to expand this to even get going. I tried referencing my text Math Methods by Boas which has a lot on series and expansion but I am kinda stumped. Even after i get it expanded I am not entirely sure where to go with it
Any help? This class is killing me haha

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1602726359451.png
    1602726359451.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1602726436520.png
    1602726436520.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 113
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to expand [itex]x(t + \tau)[/itex] to third order in [itex]\tau[/itex], and compare that to what you get from expanding [tex]
x(t + \tau) \approx x(t) + w_1 \tau f(x(t),t) + w_2 \tau f(x(t) + \beta \tau f(x(t),t), t + \alpha \tau)[/tex] to third order in [itex]\tau[/itex] (which means that [itex] f(x(t) + \beta \tau f(x(t),t), t + \alpha \tau)[/itex] only has to be expanded to second order, as it is already multiplied by [itex]\tau[/itex]).

Remember that by definition [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}(t) = f(x(t),t)[/tex] and that by the chain rule [tex]
\frac{d^n}{dt^n}f(x(t),t) = \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial x} + \frac{\partial }{\partial t}\right)^n f
= \left(f\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)^n f.[/tex]

Likes scottdave and etotheipi
What does eq 3.25 have to do with it? and i have no idea how to expand either of those

[tex]\begin{align*}
\left(f\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)^2f &=
\left(f\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\right)\left(f\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right) \\
& = f\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(f\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(f\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)
\end{align*}[/tex] etc.

What is 2nd order Runge Kutta and how is it used in scientific research?

2nd order Runge Kutta is a numerical method used for solving differential equations in scientific research. It involves using a series of calculations to approximate the solution to a differential equation at discrete points in time. This method is particularly useful for solving complex systems of differential equations that cannot be solved analytically.

How does 2nd order Runge Kutta differ from other numerical methods?

2nd order Runge Kutta is an improvement upon the original Runge Kutta method, which uses only one calculation at each time step. 2nd order Runge Kutta uses two calculations at each time step, resulting in a more accurate approximation of the solution.

What is the series expansion method and how is it related to 2nd order Runge Kutta?

The series expansion method is a mathematical technique used for approximating functions by representing them as a series of simpler functions. It is often used in conjunction with 2nd order Runge Kutta to improve the accuracy of the numerical solution by taking into account higher-order terms in the series expansion.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using 2nd order Runge Kutta and series expansion in scientific research?

The main advantage of using 2nd order Runge Kutta and series expansion is that it allows for the numerical solution of complex systems of differential equations that cannot be solved analytically. However, this method can be computationally intensive and may require a large number of calculations to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

How can I implement 2nd order Runge Kutta and series expansion in my own research?

To implement 2nd order Runge Kutta and series expansion in your research, you will need to have a strong understanding of differential equations and numerical methods. There are many resources available online and in textbooks that can guide you through the implementation process. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or seek guidance from a mentor with experience in this area.