QFT Klein Gordon Theory, momentum commutator computation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve part a) of a problem involving the commutator relation for annihilation operators in an integral. The method involves expanding the commutator and inserting it into the integral, then simplifying using the delta function. The result is two terms that cancel each other out, but it is unclear how to handle these terms. The solution may involve swapping the operators, but there is confusion about the validity of this method.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

momentum[].png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think I understand part b) . The idea is to move the operator that annihilates to the RHS via the commutator relation.

However I can't seem to get part a.

I have:

## [ P^u, P^v]= \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' (a^{\dagger}(k)a(k)a^{\dagger}(k')a(k') k^u k'^v - a^{\dagger}(k')a(k')a^{\dagger}(k)a(k) k'^vk^u)##

And I can't even think of a first move here, and I don't see anyway to include the commutator expression?

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
expand the commutator and insert it into the integral

Dr Transport said:
expand the commutator and insert it into the integral
which commutator? i don't understand

Dr Transport said:
annihilation commutation relation...

As I said in my intiial post I can't see how you can factorise to get where to insert this commutator.
I.e i can't spot a factorisation of the form ## f(a^{\dagger}(k'),a(k')) [a(k),a^{\dagger}(k)] ##

Because ##a^{\dagger}(k'),a(k')## is on the rhs in the first term, but on the lhs in the second term...

expand the commutation relation and substitute in for [itex] a(k)a^\dagger(k')[/itex] in the first expression and similarly for the right hand equation, the delta function will integrate out and you can simplify from there.

Likes binbagsss
ahh ofc,thanks

Dr Transport said:
expand the commutation relation and substitute in for [itex] a(k)a^\dagger(k')[/itex] in the first expression and similarly for the right hand equation, the delta function will integrate out and you can simplify from there.

Nope actually I'm still struggling

Doing this I have:

## \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)^{\dagger}(k')a(k)a(k') + a^{\dagger}(k)(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k') - a^{\dagger}(k')^{\dagger}(k)a(k')a(k) - a^{\dagger}(k')(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k))##

##= \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)^{\dagger}(k')a(k) a(k')) +\int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k')) - \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k')^{\dagger}(k)a(k')a(k) ) - \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k')(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k))##

##= \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)^{\dagger}(k')a(k) a(k')) + \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k')^{\dagger}(k)a(k')a(k) )##

so the two delta terms have canceled but I don't know what to do with these two terms.

Thanks

binbagsss said:
Nope actually I'm still struggling

Doing this I have:

## \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)^{\dagger}(k')a(k)a(k') + a^{\dagger}(k)(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k') - a^{\dagger}(k')^{\dagger}(k)a(k')a(k) - a^{\dagger}(k')(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k))##

##= \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)^{\dagger}(k')a(k) a(k')) +\int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k')) - \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k')^{\dagger}(k)a(k')a(k) ) - \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k')(2\pi)^3\delta^3(k-k')a(k))####= \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k)^{\dagger}(k')a(k) a(k')) + \int \int \frac{1}{(2\pi)^6} d^3k d^3 k' k'^vk^u (a^{\dagger}(k')^{\dagger}(k)a(k')a(k) )##

so the two delta terms have canceled but I don't know what to do with these two terms.

Thanks

I'm aware that the two annihilator operators and the two creation operators commute and so i suspect the answer is we can just swap these and then the two expressions are identical and cancel.

However with the operator being swapped having another operator on both the left and right side , I am confused whether this is valid because , if we were only acting on a bra, then I agree its fine to swap the annihilator operators, and if only acting on a ket to swap the creation operators. However I believe we should make it general, so acting on a bra and a ket

I can't get my head around, to me if you are swapping the operator in the middle of a string of three operators, you are not just assuming commutation between two of them, but all three... ? thanks

1. What is the Klein Gordon equation in quantum field theory?

The Klein Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of quantum fields, specifically scalar fields. It is a quantum field theory version of the classical Klein Gordon equation and is used to describe the behavior of particles with integer spin, such as mesons.

2. How is momentum commutator computed in QFT Klein Gordon theory?

In QFT Klein Gordon theory, the momentum commutator is computed by taking the commutator between the momentum operator and the Klein Gordon field operator. This is done using the canonical commutation relations, which state that the commutator between any two operators is equal to the product of their commutators.

3. What is the significance of the momentum commutator in QFT Klein Gordon theory?

The momentum commutator in QFT Klein Gordon theory is significant because it reveals the underlying symmetries of the theory. Specifically, the commutator reveals the symmetry between space and time translations, which is known as the Lorentz symmetry. This symmetry is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in a relativistic quantum field theory.

4. How does the momentum commutator affect the behavior of particles in QFT Klein Gordon theory?

The momentum commutator in QFT Klein Gordon theory affects the behavior of particles by determining the uncertainty in the particle's momentum. The commutator leads to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known, and vice versa.

5. Are there any applications of QFT Klein Gordon theory in real-world scenarios?

Yes, QFT Klein Gordon theory has many applications in real-world scenarios, particularly in particle physics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators and to study the properties of subatomic particles. It also has applications in condensed matter physics, where it is used to describe the behavior of systems with a large number of particles.